Riviera The Buick that combined luxury with performance during its entire existance

1995 Buick Riviera Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 09:37 PM
Default 1995 Buick Riviera Need Help

I have a 1995 buick riveria with 201,000km,

While driving, Sometimes the voltage light will come on and the car will power off usually happens on deceleration there isn't a jolt or anything you just turns off.

If you put it in park it will start up no problem sometimes the traction control light and check engine light will turn on but they're always gone when u park the car even for a few seconds turn it off and start it up again.

None of the steering wheel buttons work, and the radio sometimes is just static besides the stalling I can live with everything else it is a great car without a spec of rust on it any ideas what could be causing any of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Also for background the car just came from the buick dealership having a new rear knock sensor, speed sensor and some other engine wiring replaced.

The car has only been on the road for about a month sense being in the shop and have had the stalling issues sense the day after having the car back. before going into the dealership it was parked after supposedly the speed sensor had sent the transmission into limp mode on a road trip.

Last edited by Frankythemainman; 07-01-2022 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Fixing Bad Grammer And Seperrating text into paragraphs
Old 07-08-2022, 07:56 AM

What we try to establish is ,
does the engine give any indication of faltering or does it just die?

Usually, if you get an indication of a problem, the fuel system could be involved, but if it just shuts down like you turned off the key, it is very likely an electrical/ignition problem.
Depending on which of those are present,determines where we go.

From what you have described so far, I would suspect the ign switch., which were known for that type problem.
I would also suspect it may also be affecting other electrical parts that rely on it for their power.

They are not that expensive to replace . What can be done is to connect something like a test light to the output of the ign sw, and if it loses power suddenly, a visual indication is easily seen by what the test light does.