Regal (1973-2004) Buick's sporty mid-sized sedan

weird sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Default weird sound

ok so when my car warms up i just got this car and its cold so i dont know if it will do during summer but anyway when my car has been drived like for a good 15 to 20 min their is a weird almost clicking or a weird loud hum sound comeing from the driver side vent right by the door if i turn off the heat/air fan it goes away its on at all speeds and it will stay for a wile then it goes away after quiet some time once in a wile or some times it just dosent happen what could it be ik the fan is on right side under the glove box but the sound is only on the driver side on the one vent close to the door it happens when driveing and also when at stopped in gear and out of gear.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:43 AM

Is this in your 2000?
I don't know just how all the ducting is routed under the dash yet, but I know sounds from the fan and squirrel cage can travel quite a distance.
Have you sat in the passenger seat while it was doing it yet? Perhaps you're just only hearing it out of the driver's vent because that's the one you're closest to?

Just a thought anyway.
It could certainly be some kind of paper seal or label on the ducting/hoses that's flapping around in there, but the fan makes this kind of sound often enough to be high on the list of culprits.
And the grinding noise you mention is consistent with a motor/fan issue as well as the clicking. While a piece of something flapping in the breeze would more likely result in just the clicking sound.

Have you ever pulled out the filter element from under the cowl cover? If not, it can't hurt to take a look-see under there to make sure there are not some leaves or other debris causing mischief in the fan area.
When the selector switch is in the normal position (as opposed to MAX or RECIRC.), the fan is clearly visible and accessible for cleaning once you get the plastic cover off.
If it's running in MAX though, the cover is rolled into place and blocking access under the filter.

Good luck.

Paul

Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 AM

ok thanks and i did hear it from the pas seat to i was thinking it could be a cooling fan cuz the car if warm when it happens but i will look into that stuff you said \
thanks zach

Old 01-20-2012, 01:55 PM

Did you ever get a chance to check it out?
I found that I'm getting pretty quick at accessing the filter/fan area now. I've had it off 3 or 4 times just in the last month so can have it off, inspect for trouble, and have it all back together, in less than 5 minutes.
So weather or darkness has not been a big deterrent yet.

Now, with snow or rain falling, funny noises take on less pressing status and I can stay inside where it's warm and dry, and not feel too guilty.

Paul