Regal (1973-2004) Buick's sporty mid-sized sedan

Sticky paint in interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:52 AM

< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" =text/>
</>

I have a 95 Regal Custom with a light gray cloth interior and the console. I’m encountering a problem I haven’t seen before in any vehicle. The pale gray finish on both the console and the instrument bezel has become sticky or gummy. You can actually scratch the finish off with your fingernail and it’s tacky, especially when it gets hot like it does here in Florida. The upper dashboard and the bottom of the console as well as the rest of the interior seems to be regular plastic and is fine but it looks like either Buick or some former owner of this car painted the console and the instrument panel bezel. The finish looks like it came from the factory that way because it exactly matches the plain plastic on the back of the parts. I’ve had this car for three years and it’s been that way since I got it but it’s gotten worse over the last year. I took it to the local Buick dealership and they just looked dumb and said somebody must have painted it somewhere along the line. The finish can be gotten off with Goof Off and underneath is shiny gray plastic. Has anybody else had this problem and can you suggest a method to clean these parts so I can repaint them. I’m trying to sell the car and I can’t put it up for sale in this condition. Thanks.
< =text/>
_uacct = "UA-939292-42";
urchinTracker();
</>

Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

i would first try to use a mild paint remover. you may not have to re-pait. but if you use an agressive remover, it will likely fade the vinyl/plastic. but if you are determined to paint, then go ahead and use acetone, or mineral spirits, or the like to take it off.