Regal (1973-2004) Buick's sporty mid-sized sedan

Stereo Replacement 2000 Regal

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 05:16 PM

I am trying to replace the factory stereo in my 2000 Regal with a new one. How do I take the front dashboard off to replace the unit and what parts will I need for the job? Thanks for your help !!!

Old 11-11-2011, 02:42 PM

is the sound not that good in the car i just bought a 2000 regal and i am not sure if i should change the radio how does it sound stock?

Old 11-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

If you have the Concert Sound II, then it sounds very good stock. Thats what I have in my Century, and I am very pleased with it, other than a speaker that is getting bad, but it has been like it since I got the car in January.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:54 PM

i just learned my speakers are almost all blown so any ideas should i get stock ones or aftermarket and a new sterio? and what bout subs good idea or not i have two 12 but not sure if worht putting in

Old 11-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

If you have the 6 speaker Concert Sound II, and you want to get new components for the front doors, you might have some trouble finding ones whose tweeters fit in the stock location without a bit of work. I haven't really looked at how they are installed, but when I had the panel off, it looked like it may be difficult. I could be wrong though.

The subs are completely up to you. If you use your trunk a lot, then it might not be the best idea. I honestly think the stock speakers, when working properly, have a decent amount of bass for the most part, and a sub almost isn't necessary.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

I was working with 2 of 6 speakers in my limited Concert Sound II when I got it. All I had was the driver woofer and driver rear deck. The tweeters both gone the passenger woofer was gone and the rear passenger tweeter was blown. I went with the cheap xplode 4 ways in the front and rear after ditching the pioneers. The xplaods liked bass better than the pioneers and was $20 cheaper per set. Haven't replaced the tweeters yet but I have a generic pair from a local shop that sounded ok. I will gut the factory tweeters and use the square brackets to hide em behind the door pannel. I also snagged all the tweeter trims from a J yard car in the event I decide to cut the grille and mount them on the outside of the door. Only regrets were the 4 ways in the front door. They are decent till you have a front seat pasenger. All the component sets were way beyond my budget @ the time of replaceent and I spend too much time in my car to have no speakers.

Comming from someone with 15 sub in my other car the stockers don't do much for bass in that catagory. I was waiting till I got a new radio before wasting money on a LOC.

Take the covers off each corner of the dash and on passenger side there is a single phillips. Pull it off the tab and peel with confidence( but not cocky). When you get to the steering wheel Put parking brake on and shift to 1 to give more room cause in park it's not fun. After that start pulling the lower dash off on both sides of the steering wheel and pull the trim from the inside top by the gauges. If you were like me in a few J Yard cars you can peel back just enought to get the screws(also phillips) that's holding the radio in. I haven't replaced the radio yet so I can't help you with the crutchfield "you must cut the rear radio support" special intructions.

The computer I am on youtube is blocked or else I would have just posted the video.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

I think this is the video you're talking about. If not, its a good reference.

Don't be afraid to use a little force on some of the clips. They can be stubborn.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Can't see it I bet it works for now. Even a cluster repair vid might show how to get that far into the dash. I actually pulled the cluster faster than the radio for some odd reason.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

I had two 15's but the trunk in my subaru didn't like the height of the box. I ended up splitting up the pair and only have a single sub box. I nevr went past 1/4 since it was plenty enough sub to give me what I needed.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

That was one of the videos. I kinda helped the top comment get to where it was back when I saw it. "DING DING DING DING"

I was just gonna post this one but that one looks how I did it. This one shows a few more panels being pulled making it easier to get it back in there later. I also noticed the heater controls/ashtray piece is shaped different from mine.

Quick Reply: Stereo Replacement 2000 Regal