Buick  Forum - Buick Enthusiasts Forums

Buick Forum - Buick Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.buickforum.com/forum/)
-   Regal (1973-2004) (https://www.buickforum.com/forum/regal-1973-2004-23/)
-   -   Stereo Replacement 2000 Regal (https://www.buickforum.com/forum/regal-1973-2004-23/stereo-replacement-2000-regal-2446/)

bikedude121 03-07-2009 05:16 PM

I am trying to replace the factory stereo in my 2000 Regal with a new one. How do I take the front dashboard off to replace the unit and what parts will I need for the job? Thanks for your help !!!

feltes94 11-11-2011 02:42 PM

is the sound not that good in the car i just bought a 2000 regal and i am not sure if i should change the radio how does it sound stock?

2k2cse 11-11-2011 03:54 PM

If you have the Concert Sound II, then it sounds very good stock. Thats what I have in my Century, and I am very pleased with it, other than a speaker that is getting bad, but it has been like it since I got the car in January.

feltes94 11-12-2011 04:54 PM

i just learned my speakers are almost all blown so any ideas should i get stock ones or aftermarket and a new sterio? and what bout subs good idea or not i have two 12 but not sure if worht putting in

2k2cse 11-12-2011 05:43 PM

If you have the 6 speaker Concert Sound II, and you want to get new components for the front doors, you might have some trouble finding ones whose tweeters fit in the stock location without a bit of work. I haven't really looked at how they are installed, but when I had the panel off, it looked like it may be difficult. I could be wrong though.

The subs are completely up to you. If you use your trunk a lot, then it might not be the best idea. I honestly think the stock speakers, when working properly, have a decent amount of bass for the most part, and a sub almost isn't necessary.

Merc6 11-13-2011 03:51 PM

I was working with 2 of 6 speakers in my limited Concert Sound II when I got it. All I had was the driver woofer and driver rear deck. The tweeters both gone the passenger woofer was gone and the rear passenger tweeter was blown. I went with the cheap xplode 4 ways in the front and rear after ditching the pioneers. The xplaods liked bass better than the pioneers and was $20 cheaper per set. Haven't replaced the tweeters yet but I have a generic pair from a local shop that sounded ok. I will gut the factory tweeters and use the square brackets to hide em behind the door pannel. I also snagged all the tweeter trims from a J yard car in the event I decide to cut the grille and mount them on the outside of the door. Only regrets were the 4 ways in the front door. They are decent till you have a front seat pasenger. All the component sets were way beyond my budget @ the time of replaceent and I spend too much time in my car to have no speakers.

Comming from someone with 15 sub in my other car the stockers don't do much for bass in that catagory. I was waiting till I got a new radio before wasting money on a LOC.

Take the covers off each corner of the dash and on passenger side there is a single phillips. Pull it off the tab and peel with confidence( but not cocky). When you get to the steering wheel Put parking brake on and shift to 1 to give more room cause in park it's not fun. After that start pulling the lower dash off on both sides of the steering wheel and pull the trim from the inside top by the gauges. If you were like me in a few J Yard cars you can peel back just enought to get the screws(also phillips) that's holding the radio in. I haven't replaced the radio yet so I can't help you with the crutchfield "you must cut the rear radio support" special intructions.

The computer I am on youtube is blocked or else I would have just posted the video.

2k2cse 11-13-2011 04:21 PM

I think this is the video you're talking about. If not, its a good reference.

Don't be afraid to use a little force on some of the clips. They can be stubborn.

Merc6 11-13-2011 05:16 PM

Can't see it I bet it works for now. Even a cluster repair vid might show how to get that far into the dash. I actually pulled the cluster faster than the radio for some odd reason.

Merc6 11-13-2011 06:13 PM

I had two 15's but the trunk in my subaru didn't like the height of the box. I ended up splitting up the pair and only have a single sub box. I nevr went past 1/4 since it was plenty enough sub to give me what I needed.

Merc6 11-14-2011 06:27 AM

That was one of the videos. I kinda helped the top comment get to where it was back when I saw it. "DING DING DING DING"

I was just gonna post this one but that one looks how I did it. This one shows a few more panels being pulled making it easier to get it back in there later. I also noticed the heater controls/ashtray piece is shaped different from mine.

Merc6 11-14-2011 06:55 AM

You can ignore the dash shifter part I forgot you guys only have 5 seaters .

feltes94 11-16-2011 10:20 AM

so i learned that just back and maybe front driver speekers are blown if i tke them out of my 94 monte carlo would that work with the radio just fine for sound? i have aftermarked radio in the monte and speekers sound amazing in the buick i have the 6 speeker setup the bass kinda sucks in the buick so i was wondering if new speekers or put monte speekers in and new deck or not ?

2k2cse 11-16-2011 11:49 AM

Do whatever you want. As long as they fit (6x9 in the rear, 6.5 components in the front), you should be good. If you want to just use a 6.5 2 or 3 way speaker in the front, you can do that too. There probably won't be much of a noticeable difference in the sound.

Merc6 11-16-2011 03:19 PM

The tweeters hook to the factory woofers so you will have to splice that.... also if you get the quick connects from worst buy they need to look like this.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...6/641a1c0b.jpg

Well the ones you buy will be black and white. this the oem one from tweeters. The connectors are good for all 4 speakers. Tweeters gotta be spliced back into the mix.

This is how the fronts are. There is a spot where the wires slip past the speakers shown in the pic for tweeters.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...6/34a1c13b.jpg

feltes94 11-17-2011 09:54 AM

yeah its the compII sound or what ever its called i going have save up some money first but ill have to look into that stuff do you thing a junk yard for speekers would be ok or better off getting aftermarket ones or something?

Merc6 11-17-2011 01:52 PM

If you can find a set there not blown. The fronts were like $35 and rears were I think $48 wal mart. The plug and play was about $32 for front and rear set at worst buy. I always get the plug and play for easier instal vs cut and solder. Later I will post the exact kit cause best buy usually gives you the wrong one. Not sure what year they changed connectors for the speakers, if the mote has the same size front and back size you might be able to get away with it. Same for radio and in dash kit but if it's like the century you might have to cut to fit.

feltes94 11-17-2011 02:30 PM

ok thank you ansd if you can post that connector for plug and play

feltes94 11-30-2011 10:00 AM

is there anything wrong with your stock radio? because i trying find new one cuz my casset dont work like dont eject all the time i am happy with the sound it s just the speekers r blown so i putting sony explodes in with stock radio how much is to much for one at a junk yard do you supose?

2k2cse 11-30-2011 02:43 PM

You can probably get one at a JY for under $30. I actuallly like the stock radio better than anything aftermarket, especially if you have steering wheel controls.

Merc6 11-30-2011 08:45 PM

With the stock radio, there is a 60/40 chance it's still there in the car/truck/van cause theftlock is a hassle to deal with. You kinda have to take into consideration it could be in worse condition than yours. I found 2 exact radios but decided aftermarket double dins are my best option and Cruchfield has kits to keep the steer buttons. OEM radios here go for $24-26 depending on if it has a tape player or not. The yard I go to has warranty options on parts for an extra fee for the event it doesn't work. Supposedly 2001 or so they changed the radio connectors and radios in general making them non plug N play with the older ones. I hate my NON MP3 CD player skips every 5 seconds. My tape deck is broke as well but that's normal. I never had a walkman last more than a year when I was younger nor the tape decks in the Ghetto Blasters. I think they are rigged to fail like the resistors in the gauge cluster. There is a thread above us that has the way around theftlock if you want to venture that direction. My Xplodes are holding up fine but I would go with component set for the front door. The Xplode 4 ways in the deck love bass but the door 4ways are meh when it comes to bass but are lovely with mid and hi's. The built in crossovers kill the bass.

There was a few different kinds of radios depending on options of both new and old style. The following listings show the backs of the radio.

Newer radio back
http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-05-Buick-Century-Rendezvous-Radio-Cd-Cassette-10333584-/200681477956?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item2 eb98c5744

Older radio back
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-2003-Buick-Radio-Stereo-Tape-Player-Century-Park-Avenue-Lesabre-Regal-/190588789086?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item2 c5ffa215e

Merc6 11-30-2011 09:00 PM

Ok Lied they rearranged the threads so it's below us now. Only usuable info for unlocking a radio was to go to Google.

http://www.articlesbase.com/automoti...os-842374.html

2k2cse 11-30-2011 09:20 PM

Is this what your current deck looks like?

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...24664111_n.jpg

If so, a simple mod is this:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...35122399_n.jpg

AUX plug for under $10

It took me about 10 hours to do, but I ran into a lot of small problems.

It works great, and runs through the tape deck. It'll play when a tape is in, and the cord is plugged in. Unplug the cord, and the tape will play as normal.

Merc6 11-30-2011 10:33 PM

If he is like me, there is a tape stuck in there forever. Well, for me there is half a tape stuck in there forever. I broke half the tape so the door could close. Seeing that tape jammed in there like that just taunted me. It still does if I use source button to get to the CD function. It makes noises for about 20 seconds then flashes the error code before playing the CD. The way around that is eject the CD then put it back in. One of these days I will take the radio out to get the rest of that tape out. I kinda have a similar mod on my Subaru radio except I use a blank CD in one of the CD changer slots and set it to repeat.

2k2cse 11-30-2011 11:14 PM

Does the theftlock light on your radio flash? Mine doesn't.. It makes me think the radio isn't the original..

And yeah, I know someone who used the CD player to power the AUX port on his 1994 Cutlass. It's so easy to hook up when you know what you're doing, and have the space for the jack. In these radios, you have to do a lot of work to get it to fit.

Merc6 12-01-2011 07:33 AM

Nope no flash and haven't tried to find out. Didn't want to lock myself out of the radio on those long drives to/from work. They plugged in a jumper pack to keep my settings and ECU happy when I got a new 1000 CA battery. Reason I gave up and was looking at that one radio I posted a link for somewhere in my many threads. Has front and rear usb jack so I can run a cord from behind or use front of radio with ipod cord for my phone.

feltes94 12-01-2011 02:59 PM

i like my stock deck its just casset doesnt work all the time it spits it out a lot i use that ipod casset thing could that be only reason why? should i try a normal casset first to see? or am i better off getting a different deck so i can hook up ipod?

2k2cse 12-01-2011 03:37 PM

Spitting out the cassette is probably just that iPod adapter. I had two adapters, and my radio would spit it out after a few minutes of playing.

I'm not sure if the factory cd/cassette player will work in your car. I think it should. If you want, you can add the AUX jack like I done, if you're good at soldering, and don't mind taking it apart. You can also buy them already modded on Ebay. Or you can just get a different deck. Its completely up to you, and how much money you're willing to spend on it.

feltes94 12-02-2011 10:05 AM

well i have a crap job so not looking to spend a lot of money and it takes for ever to get the cover off the radio and stuff but i looking to not spend a bunch but i want to spend it wisly so i get the most for my buck and that it wont brake

2k2cse 12-02-2011 10:23 AM

If you want to get the most for your buck, do what I done. It cost me under $10. It isn't that hard to get the radio apart if you find a good tutorial, and should only take a couple hours. If you buy a cheap deck, you'll probably have trouble with it before you know it. Also, if you have steering wheel controls and want to keep them working, you'll have to buy an adapter for that, which could cost up to $100.

Merc6 12-02-2011 11:27 AM

Steer controls are about $70 onto the price of the radio. Once you install an aftermarket radio(cutting rear support) it's pretty much plug and play from there if you get another radio. I'm saving up for a double din cause now my radio fade is acting strange. have to move the sound to front speakers then back to center for the fronts to come back on.

*edit* When I search crutchfield it says I can do double din and steer controls(matching the radio I pick) in a century but 2000 regal can't. Hmm

feltes94 01-04-2012 02:56 PM

i just put nrew speakers in the car they sound great but i want to put a new deck in is there another way to replace it in my 2000 regal with out taking the whole stupid center councel out and all that stuff? it was a pain to take it out when i had replace the heating cooling controls

2k2cse 01-04-2012 06:02 PM

Yes, I posted this video back on the first page.

Yours should come out just like that. Don't be afraid to pull on the piece as those clips can be a little stubborn sometimes.

Merc6 01-05-2012 09:26 AM

1 screw for the dash 3 for the radio all Phillips.

Merc6 01-05-2012 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by feltes94 (Post 10946)
ok thank you ansd if you can post that connector for plug and play

Quick connect(Metra Turbo Wires) Harness
72-4568

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...6/4c9d25ec.jpg

feltes94 01-05-2012 09:57 AM

ight thanks