Regal (1973-2004) Buick's sporty mid-sized sedan

really need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 01:49 AM

my girl tried to jump-start her car a 02 regal with the 3.8 and crossed the polesso now the car dosent work at all. i think she fried the computer

i heard that you can reset the computer or something like that is this true??? the computeris300 at the dealership and 140 at autozone

i would really need help from anyone that know anything about this because i just dont want to get robbed at the dealship

Old 08-09-2006, 10:30 AM

Well from my experience with electrical items, if you 'fry' them they are done for. Of course I am not sure if your car has some sort of a surge protector on the computer in which case you could just reset it.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Administrator

ive never heard of resetting the ECU...my advice, find a car in a junkyard, and buy the ECU...it should be cheaper than the dealership or autozone. you could also make sure that they will take the ECU back if it doesnt fix it.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

id check all fuses, and fusible links before u change the computer. and if u do buy an ecu, dont turn in ur core till u know for sure its the prob.

Old 04-22-2007, 12:12 AM

By all means check all the fuses first - and be sure the proper posts are mated up to the correct leads now.

The ECU is designed to "reset" whenever it is deprived on battery power - so (assuming its NOT destroyed, which it might be), you can reset it to its default settings just by pulling off the battery's negative ground for a few seconds.

If it is still dead, it may indeed be in need of a new brain - but I'd check all the other alternatives first.

Most ignition circuits and many starter circuits have fusible links - check for those AFTER checking ALL the fuses.

Even then, you might have a blown module (the larger plastic boxes that are mounted around the car, particularly with the fuse boxes but NOT just in that location). Sometimes you can spot the bad module by a burnt smell...

Originally Posted by boss62

my girl tried to jump-start her car a 02 regal with the 3.8 and crossed the polesso now the car dosent work at all. i think she fried the computer

i heard that you can reset the computer or something like that is this true??? the computeris300 at the dealership and 140 at autozone

i would really need help from anyone that know anything about this because i just dont want to get robbed at the dealship

Old 05-24-2007, 11:12 AM

$50 at auto salvage