Regal (1973-2004) Buick's sporty mid-sized sedan

air box question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

GM switched air boxes in MY99 not sure if they switched it again. There is a seal in both the air box that falls apart whenever you take them out to get to the ECU. It's a long shot I have both air box but never installed the new one due to the coolant tank issue.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Another question was did you inspect the zip tube going to the throttle body from the air box/maf for cracks?

Old 12-28-2011, 12:24 PM

Bringing back up the subject of K&N filters that had been mentioned, has anyone else used them in their Regals and had them fit poorly?
In my '03 I barely got the box to close. In the '04 you physically can't close the lid with the last clamp. One corner of the filter is always pushing too hard to stay out of the recessed edge.

Got a reply from K&N about the issue and I'm going to get measurements and Lot Numbers off the mold edges, so wondered if anyone else has had the problem too?

I know it's not on the same subject as the sucking sound issue, but thought I'd bring it up here anyway, since we're talking about the air-box, and K&N filters.

Thanks

Paul

Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

My 1st mod usualy is a drop in but nobody was selling one for less than $50 local or online. My 03 Marauder 03 Mazda and 05 Subaru drop ins were never more than $30 shipped.

feltes94 you get any farther with the induction noises? I took a Dremel to my airbox and still don't get the sound you two describe.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:07 PM

Sometime I should get a video of the '03. If it's the same as fletes' makes, it's quite a sound.
Should be easy to hear in a decent video.

Paul

Old 12-29-2011, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator
I videotaped my car revving in a parking garage and still couldn't pick up the sound. I might upload it and try to see if the surround sound @ home picks it up.

Going to repeat some stuff I posted above just to be on same page. It was that or try and merge my previous posts into one tinkering with my true post count and knocking the planets off course.

Originally Posted by feltes94
i talked to my dad he said its just air being sucked it because he is a machanic and we checked its not a seal or anything around the box
He agrees it's normal induction noise from what appears to be a healthy(for it's age) engine? There were 2 seals on your style air box. Foam for airbox between the headlight opening and airbox and the other was the thin 2 sided tape kind that is sealing the ECU enclosed area.

Exploded view
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...6/d62fada9.jpg

Entry from behind headlight and foam
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...6/bedfe461.jpg

The seal I was referring to also counting where the wires for ECU come into the air box.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...6/c6a1c35b.jpg

and we just did all the gaskets in the whole car that was a fun 8 hours to do all them ha but yeah my hose thing from air box is not secured on all the way we had to make shift it to stay on
Once that was taken care of the sound went away or was less pronounced?

it has a reallly really small leak but its not makeing the sound and it only happens when ur on the gas going not at idel or cruzing only when stepped on and yes its a 2000
You can snag another one from a J Yard for under $10 if that so long as they don't ring it up as an entire Air Box/Cleaner Assy. Zip tube is located behind the maf so small leaks could lean you out some. Did you also check the breather tube that connects to the zip tube and runs to back valve cover?

Last edited by Merc6; 12-29-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:40 AM

i have asked other people with same problem it is engien sound not air box i guess

Old 01-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Well...SwitchPitch wins this round

Old 05-15-2012, 02:57 PM

does anyone have a link to get a cold air intake for 2000 buick regal ls? one that will not voide the computer in the air box ??

Old 05-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

All the ones I seen are $200 and up. Impala ones also fit our cars(body style) as well. I was gonna do a PVC one from the sister site write up but all my tools are at home. I'm out of town till end of next month.

Quick Reply: air box question