Regal (1973-2004) Buick's sporty mid-sized sedan

2002 Buick Regal Transmision Flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:53 AM
Question 2002 Buick Regal Transmision Flush

I recently purchsed a 2002 Buick Regal with 89,000 miles on the odometer in a hot climate. {Las Vegas} When I had the engine oil changed the mechanic told me the transmission fluid was dark and should be changed. The transmission shifts perfectly and I have heard "horror stories" about flushing the 4T60-E transmissions, so I'm looking for recommendations if I should just have the filter changed and add fluid, or do a complete transmissiion flush.
And what type AT fluid to replace for hot climate use. Thank you

Old 07-28-2012, 01:19 PM

You are going to get mixed responses on this.
From my own personal experience every auto trans has fiber particles and bushing wear that settles to the bottom of the pan. It is of a paste consistency and does no damage when sitting at the bottom of the pan. Just stir that up and it has to go someplace and I don't feel all of it goes out with the flush, so now it's in the valve body and other places .Having rebuilt a few (many) I personally would never have it done for my own vehicle. That crud is in the clutch drums and other hard to get at places where a flush can't do any good , so I would go with more frequent filter and fluid changes if it were me.
Have never gone wrong with the manufacturers recommendations for type of fluid.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:34 PM

I generally do just filter changes and replace whatever fluid comes out in the process of dropping the pan.I did mine 3weeks ago and 7 quarts had to be replaced.Ive never had a flush done on any of my vehicles,but like hanky said,some recommend them,others say steer clear.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:04 PM

I agree with the others, but still have mine flushed when I can. With my most recent car (the 04 GS) I was probably pushing my luck at 100k, but the fluid was still clean enough and not burned smelling or gritty, that I took the chance.
I just like having good/new fluid in my transmissions, and do them religiously from fairly low mileage on up.

No problems this time...

So in your case, like I think the others were saying, instead of a quick-flush at a quick-lube place, do the full monty and pull the pan, replace the filter, clean the pan and surrounding areas, and use a new gasket.
That way, all the old bad stuff is gone and no new debris gets stirred up.

If what the others are saying is, don't even change the fluid now that it's that bad looking, well, I'm torn on that. I've heard the horror stories too, but yours is such a low mileage car that I think you can get away with it.

And if you don't, well, I'd say your transmission was not going to be a reliable long-termer for you anyway. It might have been abused, or it might just have been the luck of the draw and hot conditions.
At least if you do it, you'll either have dodged a later bullet by having renewed fluid in good condition, or you'll know now, rather than on that next high-speed trip to LA or Salt Lake that your transmission is going to need a reconditioning.

Just my opinion.

Paul