News, Updates & Announcements Stop in here to get the latest on Buick Forum happenings! Just take a look...

supplimental restraint system bags

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 01:40 PM
Default supplimental restraint system bags

I was at the local LKQ P-N-P yard the other day, and they have a sign posted saying that they are no longer selling SRS bags. I assume that is because of the issues with the Japanese air bags. I just wanted to give everybody a heads up, to the effect that other yards will probably follow suit in short order. If you need an airbag, don't wait too long, or you may not be able to get one.

I converted my cars to aftermarket steering wheels and no longer have airbags. That may soon be the only recourse if yours goes off.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:32 PM

Good point on the air bags. It appears the list is unending, no make car or price range is exempt. I still have the recall on my '13 Boss to do as yet, not too awfully concerned.

It seems the problem is isolated to high humidity areas and the dry propellant gets permeated with moisture as no silica or dryer was integral with discharge cartridge. So when cylinder is activated the dampened medium plugs up the discharge port, pressure builds and boom.... Instant shrapnel.

Only a small percentage have failed this way, but still that's too many. Who's to say the replacement will be any better? No expert on the subject but after reading article it all made more sense. Info on Takata: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...call/index.htm

Last edited by Rich B.; 01-19-2018 at 05:02 AM.