New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

No cigarette lighters

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 01:55 AM

&lt; =&gt; <!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//--></>First, I'll tell you that none of my cigarette lighters in my '92 Park Avenue work. Then, I'll tell you that my electric antenna doesn't work either. Oh!! And the electric door locks won't work if I touch them (but they will work when the car is placed in or out of gear, OR with the remote).

NOW, I'll tell you this all happened, AFTER I tried to pick out some tiny bits of paper from one of the lighter sockets WITH A PAIR OF METAL LONG NOSE PLIERS.

*it was only a teeny spark* but since then, all of the above!

I have checked all of the interior fuses, and those under the hood. All look fine. Even checked the breakers under the dash.

Any thoughts? Other than I shouldn't have used the pliers??

Thanks,

Linda

(fyi--i'm a non smokers, and the only thing i need the lighters for---is for my cell phone &amp; a neat heated seat cover mom got for Christmas!)

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>Edited by: buickfam

Old 01-17-2006, 01:10 PM

Well, I wish I could give you a magic solution. You already know that you fried something, and since a group of components doesn't work, it's not at the individual lighter.

All I can tell you from here is that modern cars have power circuits (which have fuses, fusible links,or circuit breakers) and control circuits (which also have fuses) that control relays that control many of the power circuits.The control circuits sometimes go through a microprocessor (computer). There are good reasons for this, but it does make troubleshooting more complex than just"following the red wire".

Somebody will have to check all the fuses, relays,and breakers that could be involved.You might need the factory schematic to do that.

Further possibilities could be a wire or connection that has burned, or "spike" damagetothe computer/security system. (Strange as it seems, occasionally you can fix these by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.) Youmight needmeters and a scan tool todiagnose these.

I don't know your level of technical knowledge, oryour financial situation, but I would guess that you'd be better off at this point to take it to a technician who is intimately familiar with the electrical system in your particular vehicle. Edited by: MrBSS