New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New... Searching for help

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:43 AM

Hi all I am looking for help with my buick century 1995 4 cylinder engine. I was driving and the car just stopped. When I tried to start the engine is not rolling over. The mechanic said that the engine is not getting any combustion.... But he is not sure... Can anyoner give me some idea what I should be checking and looking for to repair this problem????

Old 05-21-2007, 09:31 PM

I need some details,basics are the engine needs spark,does the spark plugs spark,is there fuel delivery? Engine rolls but will not start? Check for spark and fuel,possible if these do exists, the timing gear has stripped, and engine is out of time. (email me if you want) Also it needs compression.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:55 PM

Need three things to get started; fuel, spark, compression.

Spark - test by pulling a wire, connecting a plug to the wire and grounding it to the engine. Have someone turn over the engine while observing for spark. Spark present, move on to fuel. Not present, look into ignition system for trouble.

Fuel - test by either smelling the exhaust pipe after cranking the engine for a minute. Can also test with a pressure tester - available at harborfreight.com for around $10. No fuel; replace filter, check fuel pump operation, check for signal to injectors.

Compression - test by measuring compression. Can pick up a cheap tester for around $5 from harborfreight.com. Compression good, it is a timing issue. Compression gone, mechanical - probably timing belt/chain failure.

Good luck!