New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

New Member from Florida

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 03:20 PM
Default New Member from Florida

Hello everyone!

I just purchased a yellow 1969 GS400 from another member on this forum. I didn't know he was a member here until after the purchase, though.

Anyway, it's here is Florida now and I am planning some upgrades and restoration to it. There is so much information here that it's kinda overwhelming, but that's OK. Better than not enough!

This is the first Buick that I have had. Most of my life has been Chevys, with a 2002 Mustang GT tossed in there. I currently have a 73 Malibu, too. It, however needs a whole lot of work and I wanted something that looked nice and Chevelles and Camaros are crazy expensive in driver condition. The GS400 is perfect for what I was looking for. I've always liked the looks of the 68 and 69 Skylarks, and am pretty familiar with the GM A-body platform.

First upgrade is going to be front disc brakes. It stops now with the drums, but could be so much better. I'm currently up in the air over the Inline Tube and The Right Stuff kits with master cylinder and 11" brake booster. Their both pretty affordable. Along with this, the car is also going to get control arm bushings, shocks & springs, and upper and lower ball joints. Might as well, since it needs them and I'll be dealing with them anyway for the disc brake conversion.

If I have enough left over in the budget, it may get 17 X 8 wheels and 255/45R17 tires all around. I have to take some measurements and make sure they will fit without any major modifications. The wheels I like have a +1 offset (4.54" back space). As a matter of fact, that is how I found this site, from a Google search of the wheel fitment for 68-69 Skylarks.

I look forward to learning a whole lot more about these cars, modifications, and provide some technical support when I can.

Thanks for the information so far!

FLGS400