New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

new guy (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:49 PM

I'm new here... i'm 16 and I just got my first car 1996 Buick Century 3.1L V6. I'm here to learn more about cars and get advice about some ways to fix mine up to.

Edited by: timothy652

Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the club!

nice lookin century. how many miles?

Old 04-07-2008, 07:18 PM

I just hit the 127,000 mile mark about 2 weeks ago so a little bit over that...

I've had it since the beginning of January, and i've already replaced the battery, altinator, drain **** for the radiator (we thought i blew the radiator so we cancelled insurance and saved up $200... then it cost $3.60 lol), just today i replaced my windshield washer pump. When i got it the lights for my spedo didnt work, so i bought a neon kit for $10 from walmart but i got those fixed.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

winter is rough on the batt an alt.

237k, youshould consider replacing the LIM and ditching the DEX

Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 PM

Alrightt thanks, man. Read my other post (here) and see if you have any advice about that... Again, Thanks.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:08 PM

Looks like you have a fairly good conditioned Century. If ya take good care of it and do all the proper maint. like your supposed to, u should be drivin it for a while. Only tip I got right off the top of my head, change the oil regularly. Every 3K miles @ the very least. It's the life blood of your engine. And of course, regular tune ups to help er run like she's supposed to. Oh, and a bottle of injector cleaner every few tanks of gas helps as well. Nice lookin ride though.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:17 PM

Thankss. I changed my oil about 1000 miles ago when the sticker said to on my windshield (i got the car from my sister so i knew its been kept in good shape) and last time i filled up about a week ago I putfuel injectorand octane booster in my tank.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

not saying you used cheap stuff, but just a warning about cheaper injector cleaners and octane boosters. i recently read a GM tsb that said ...

"Notice: Never use acetones, ketones, or methanol additives in your vehicle. SOme of these solvents may damage or corrode your fuel system. They are also very damaging to the painted surfaces of the vehicle if spilled.

Damage to vehicle components that result from non approved or after market additives and devices are not covered under the terms of theNew Vehicle Warranty. the only fuel additive approved by gm is gm fuel treatment plus. p/n 88861011 (in canada 88861012)"

but i use lucas injector cleaner and upper cylinder lube, it works great, and wont harm your fuel system.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:12 PM

I used STP Complete Cleaner & Octane Booster or sumthing like that... is it good?

Old 04-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

stp is a well know brand, but just bc its been advertised haevily, doesn't necessarily mean its good. but i cant say for sure. does the bottle list any of the "not goods' mentioned in the tsb? i just prefer the lucas.

idk if octane booster is necessary, or all that good either though. besides, if that can costs 4 bucks, you could fill up with premium and even with todays high gas prices, only spend an extra 2-3 more dollars.

Quick Reply: new guy (w/ pics)