New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

lucerne master switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 09:51 AM
Question lucerne master switch replacement

I replaced the master switch for the power windows etc. in his 2011 lucerne and now nothing will work like the computer doesn't see the new switch. I'm sure there is some magic keystroking that has to performed but have been unable to get that information. If anybody knows the magic potion I would be real happy if they shared it with me. Checked all the fuses and that's not the problem plus all the other door switches work. I know my BMW and other cars require power windows syncing under certain circumstances. Poor buy spent $240 for this switch and it won't do anything.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:15 AM

A little FYI,
When a request is sent to a driver's door module for something to be done, that module sends that request to the Body Control Module which sends the order to the component that does the job. All this communication is sent along a CAN network and when something is disturbed or a part replaced , the network has to be updated,notified, of the change. This requires a special,capable, scan tool to do this.
Access to the info , the correct tool, and knowledge how to use it are required . Until this is done the system will not recognize the part and many times reinstalling the original part will no longer work either.
The days of trying to help ourselves are gone and we need to accept that.
So as you can see, there are several places that could have lost the request or the order and most likely a good part could have been replaced when it was not the problem unless it was proven to be defective.

Old 01-27-2022, 10:49 AM
Default I can fix anything

The drivers window switch was bad. That's one expensive replacement switch cluster. I will never give up fixing my own stuff. I'm only 70vand they won't defeat with all their high tech stuff.

Old 01-27-2022, 02:50 PM

Carl, all the power to you !

Maybe a little info might help looking at it from a different angle.

Even if you managed to get the starter to turn the engine over , the coils will not fire, and the fuel injectors will not work.

Do you still want to play around with that?
They have made it IMPOSSIBE to do much work without having access to the info and the special tools. I believe they call it progress. A shop has to pay for a subscription to even get the info and it "ain't cheap.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:43 AM
Default Agreed

Originally Posted by hanky
Carl, all the power to you !

Maybe a little info might help looking at it from a different angle.

Even if you managed to get the starter to turn the engine over , the coils will not fire, and the fuel injectors will not work.

Do you still want to play around with that?
They have made it IMPOSSIBE to do much work without having access to the info and the special tools. I believe they call it progress. A shop has to pay for a subscription to even get the info and it "ain't cheap.
I know all about the expense. My mechanic has all the equipment but he's 800 miles away. He does training and gets a fair amount of freebies. He takes care of a couple weekend race club's member's Porsches and BMWs. He'd probably just let me use his scan tool and do it myself. I was spoiled.