New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

I’ve got a mystery squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 03:27 PM

My engine squeals. It started about a month ago and sounds like a bearing going dry. It only happens when the engine is sitting at idle(at a redlight or in Park) or when letting off the gas (coming down an off-ramp, etc).If you give it some gas it goes away. I've been over it with a stethoscopebut cannot pin-point the origin although it seems to be louder when lyingunder the engine. I would appeciate any ideas.

Old 05-16-2005, 05:14 PM

have you checked all the accessorie that are on the main belt ? (alternator, power steering et water pump and A/C compressor ? )

It's often one of them.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the response. Yes, I did try those using the stethoscope on the on the unit (bearing housing where possible) but could not pin point the origin. I've asked around town and it was suggested that it may just be the belt so I'll try changing it out.

Old 05-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Administrator

i would agree with Erakiel81 on this one..

Old 05-19-2005, 10:40 AM

I have tried to isolate the noise using a stethoscope but had no luck. I pulled the alternator and found that it sorta squeaked when I turned it by hand. So I changed it but didn't cure the squeak. Have you got any suggestions on how to checkthe accessories since obviously hand turning won't help me. It's 97 Park Ave which uses a sepintine belt. Can I run it without the belt at all? It only starts the sqeak after it hasheated up ... and long after the engine has reached stable temp.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Administrator

hmm....does it only do it under load, or at idle too?

Old 05-28-2005, 03:06 AM

Another good Idea is to hit your belt(s) with WD, It should lube them up and make em slip a bit. so you hit one belt at a time if you have multiples. helps to pinpoint the problem. The WD dicapates after a min or so.

Old 05-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Administrator

i thought about this too, but i didnt want to be the one to suggest it....

Old 05-30-2005, 01:04 AM

Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town and just retuned. It's a '97 Park Av which uses a serpentine belt so I can't isolate the squeal by slipping individual belts. The squeal occurs both in gear and in neutral or park. If you rev the engine it goes away. When driving you'll only hear it when you lei off the gas. I'm stumped, any ideas?

Old 05-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Administrator

hmm..as serp belts get older, they get hard and brittle and can make some noise,...when was the last time it was replaced?

Quick Reply: I’ve got a mystery squeal