New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Howdy

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 10:33 AM
Default Howdy

From the south central USA !

God bless
Wyr

Old 08-02-2017, 03:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Greetings from Cranbury, NJ! Tell us a little bit more about your Buick and post some pictures, when you have a chance.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 AM
Default 2006 Buick Lacrosse 3.8l

Purchased about a month ago with 37,000 + miles . This agrees with the car fax .

I mostly drive a company pickup truck . My wife drives a 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l automatic .

I recently turned 65 and I am semi-retired . Normally work mornings and off afternoons . I will eventually fully retire & will loose the company truck .

My wife and I are large economy size . The Sonic seems to be a good car , for what it is . Good on gas , reasonably quite . A large part of the noise is tire noise . Rides reasonably good ride .

But it is a small car and it is a little tight inside , on road trips . We wanted a car with more room inside , for road trips . If it is quieter & smoother riding , that is another plus .

The Lacrosse seems to qualify , although I have not driven it that much & not been out of town .

I knew I would take a hit on gas mileage . Bigger engine , bigger / heavier car . But if you are going to play , you are going to have to pay .

The car is very low mileage for a 2006 . I would say , over all 90% - 95% condition . Especially the interior .

Good tires , pretty new battery .

But , knowing age and heat are the enemy of plastic & rubber , I decided to do some Preventive Maintenance . Bought engine air and cabin air filters , serpentine belt , engine air filter , 2 radiator hoses , 2 heater hoses & PCV valve .

The belt is OK , no cracks . Same for engine air filter , OK . Have not gotten around to checking the cabin air filter . Replaced the hoses . ( have I mentioned I hate spring hose clamps ? )

Have not gotten the PCV valve housing apart , yet . Little afraid I may break it .

On researching the 3.8l , I learned there are 2 plastic heater hose elbows , that can / will leak with time . Replaced both with metal elbows , although the 2 plastic ones were not in too bad of shape .

Bought a transmission filter / gasket & magnet and Dexron 6 fluid . Have not done a spill & fill , yet . Thinking of buying a transmission pan with a drain plug .

I bought this plastic transfer pump at Harbor freight .

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-...ump-61364.html

Stuck the input hose down the transmission dip stick tube as far as it would go . Pumped ATF unto a spare , empty 1 gallon jug ( originally held wind shield wiper fluid ) , until the jug was full . By that time the pump was sucking air .

Added 4 quarts of full synthetic Valvoline ( blue bottle ) Dexron 6 .

One of the 2 key fob remotes was broken . Ordered a new one . Think I have found a youtube video illustrating how to DIY program it . Should arrive by end of the week .

That is pretty much it except washing the Lacrosse a couple of times .

Although the care seems to be in great shape , I feel more confident the next time we make a road trip . In a more comfortable car .

And as long as it stays parked , it is not cost me very much . Except for registration and insurance ( ouch ! :-( ) .

The insurance cost almost convinced me to put off buying another car . :-(

Wyr
God bless

Attached Thumbnails Howdy-2006-buick-lacrosse-cx.jpeg