New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Any Tricks on Stuck Oil Ring

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 09:44 AM
Default Any Tricks on Stuck Oil Ring

I have a 1939 Buick that has been sitting for 6-9 years . And am told the oil ring is gummy or stuck on a couple of pistons as its oil on plugs on 2 cylinders . Car is all original and I have known the car as its been in our family since new . Now have this problem and lots of smoking exhaust . I have sprayed Kranoil in cylinders and let it sit WITHOUT SUCCESS !!!

Hopefully somone will have a suggestion RATHER THAN GOING INTO THE ENGINE ????

Old 05-31-2017, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by SandyJ
I have a 1939 Buick that has been sitting for 6-9 years . And am told the oil ring is gummy or stuck on a couple of pistons as its oil on plugs on 2 cylinders . Car is all original and I have known the car as its been in our family since new . Now have this problem and lots of smoking exhaust . I have sprayed Kranoil in cylinders and let it sit WITHOUT SUCCESS !!!

Hopefully somone will have a suggestion RATHER THAN GOING INTO THE ENGINE ????
I'd try Marvel Mystery OIl or maybe kerosene. Remove plugs, fill each cylinder up and let soak. Try turning over (don't run engine) by hand or starter. May have to reinstall plugs to keep from squirting medium all out. Redo several times and of coarse everything will drain into crankcase.

Change oil before running engine. Those cars would use a high detergent oil, non detergent oil not invented yet and leaded gas of coarse. Believe additives are out there these days for that.

Last edited by Rich B.; 05-31-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:55 PM

Duplication.

Last edited by Rich B.; 06-01-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:33 PM

Accidental duplication....