New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

77 Regal Emissions Label

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 10:15 AM
Smile 77 Regal Emissions Label

Hi, New member, long time Buick lover. I am restoring my 1977 Buick Regal 2 dr coupe that I bought new. I am looking for info on the emissions/tune up label that is on the radiator core support cover, (1st image below). Mine has the top edge worn off so there is missing info on specifically the upper left corner. I have looked on ebay and found some replacement labels, but none match my original label. Looking at other labels, there is a letter code that I can't figure out what it stands for. I have looked through my 1977 Buick service manual and see there is engine codes, but none match a reference label I found on ebay (2nd image) for a 1977 Buick. Does anyone know what this code should be? My car has the Buick 350 4 BBL carb with AC. I have found a company that will replicate my label, if I can supply the missing info.
Thanks in advance.

My original label. Red circle is info needed.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:38 PM

Looking at the pix of your vehicle's label, it appears timing is set to 12 degrees BTDC. and yet my sheet shows plug gap for those engines at .040.
The tune up spec booklet I have states only two engines with that timing setting.
They are the engine code "H" and engine code "J".
I believe the engine code should correspond with the 5th letter of the VIN.

FIRING ORDER IS 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 , DIST TURNS CLOCKWISE.
Like all most GM, cyls 2,4,6,8 on rt bank and 1,3,5,7 on left bank.driver's side.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:39 PM

Hank, Thanks for the reply. Yes, my car has the J engine. There is also a two letter code missing on the upper left corner, (mine is worn off) that I was told usually corresponds to the number on the build/broadcast sheet and was different for each engine. I have the broadcast sheet, but there is no info that is specific to the engine, unless it has to do with the assembly sequence number. I found two examples of 1977 Buick, 350 4 barrel labels on EBay from seller Vintageautoliterature. . One has OD, the other has AY, (I had attached this one to my original post), but they both have different timing info than my label, as well as they don't have the timing mark and high idle images that is on my original. They do have a GM part number, mine is 1257348. I have a parts manual, but was unable to find an entry for "Label", or "Decal" for the emissions label. My book is numbers only, maybe one with the illustrations would have a better chance of finding it. If that would be any help, I don't know.
Thanks again for helping with this search.
Tony

Old 08-14-2021, 11:02 AM

A suggestion,
Copy all the info you can read from your present label so you have a record of that info. You may need that info sometime and it will be nice if you have it someplace before it goes away .

Old 08-15-2021, 03:20 PM

I have taken pictures of it. I have posted for this info on a couple other forums hoping that someone has knowledge of these emissions labels and what the letter code would represent. I can make out all the other text and would like to have the correct letter code, but if I can't find out what it should be, I'll use one from another 1977 label for 350 J engine to have a replacement made.
Thanks for the help,
Tony