New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

69 skylark.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:43 AM
Default 69 skylark.

a previous owner has made a crude repair to a leaky rear screen by filling it with clear silicone sealant. this has allowed water to penetrate below the vinyl roof covering which now needs doing properly.

if i remove the rear screen, what materials do i need to refit successfully as i dont have a manual.

thanks in advance for your help.

fred, south wales, uk.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:26 PM

From what I can recall, which isn't too much,
after you removed the trim the urathane needs to be cut to free the windscreen (rear window).
Some have used a piano wire threaded through an opening to cut the adhesive and others have used just a utility knife.
After all the material is removed and cleaned from the glass and metal opening, I recall placing a bead of urathane adhesive around the metal opening then carefully placing the glass on to the adhesive. You didn't get much time or movement available to place it in the correct place, but once placed it was just a matter of letting it cure. You don't want to overdo the application of the adhesive because its a lot of unecessary work to remove it in order to install the trim on the outside

Old 10-31-2010, 05:19 PM

where do i start how do i remove the chrome trim and glass. does anyone have the page of the manual they could email me.

hartland624@btinternet.com

fred

Last edited by fred_hartland; 10-31-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:41 PM

Lift upon the bottom of the chrome trim and it should pop off. Usually held on with plastic tabs that slip on to small rivet heads that are spotwelded to vehicle.
No special tools required to cut the urethane adhesive just a sharp knife.
After cutting the adhesive all around the glass should be able to be lifted off the vehicle.
Don't have any kind of manual for this. You need to remove the interior trim also in order to get to the adhesive.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:07 PM

thanks hanky,
do those clips hold on the chrome glass surround as well as the chrome trim around the vynil roof.

fred

Old 11-02-2010, 03:45 AM

Not sure I understand your question. The best I can recollect is the chrome trim around the glass is the only part I am familiar with. Just be careful and take your time and you should be OK. You might have some problem locating replacement clips if you need them. Some models used them for many years, so your aren't limited to the 1969 year. I have seen where some installers used the urathane adhesive to hold the chrome in place when the rivets or clips didn't work, but it all had to be done at the time the glass was put into place and the adhesive was still fresh- (tacky).

Old 11-26-2010, 04:32 AM
Default 69 skylark

you misunderstand theres no mention of 2001 skylark its a 69