New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

1979 LeSabre no ignition spark

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 10:30 PM

I recently purchased a one owner 1979 LeSabre Limited 5.7L 4bbl VIN "R" with just 80k miles on it. It was running fine (although it seems underpowered). I got in the car and it started fine, I stepped on the gas and went about 10 ft. and the car just died. No sputtering, gagging, jerking - just died and no longer starts.
The person I bought it from told me her mechanic said it needed a fuel pump but she wasn't too sure about that - she's kinda old. I can see gas pumping into the carb when I pump the accelerator.
I don't seem to be getting any ignition spark. I hooked up a timing light and I don't get any flashes from it when I crank the engine. I replaced the fuel filter, coil and ignition module but I'm still not getting any spark. Rotor looks in good condition. Is there a fuse to replace?
Maybe my timing light test is bad thinking. I will try the old pull off a plug wire and hold it near the plug terminal trick.
Any suggestions? All help appreciated. Thanks! I think I will get good use out of this forum.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:02 PM

Is this a HEI system. there are no points.

IN THE Distributor housing the
mechanical and vacuum advance mechanisms (1975 through 1980), contains
the ignition coil, the electronic control module, and the magnetic
triggering device. The magnetic pick-up assembly contains a permanent
magnet, a pole piece with internal teeth, and a pick-up coil (not to be
confused with the ignition coil).</font>

HEI has a inductor that senses rotor position and uses that information instead of a cam points system. Often the magnetic triggering device goes bad. But it could be the coil or such.

Usually theres a problem with either the voltage on the HEI side of the coil or the coil itself not producing the high spark...

If you can put a timing light on the tach terminal and see if you get a flash..

PS this is not where problems are posted. usually.

Good luck

Edited by: bassasasin

Old 09-25-2006, 06:23 PM

Well dummy me, after replacing the ignition module, I didn't tighten down the screw that has the module ground connection. Thanks bassasasin. Sorry, I posted this in the wrong place.