New Member Area Are you new to Buick Forum?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

1966 Wildcat Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Default 1966 Wildcat Motor Mounts

Yesterday I replaced the motor mounts in my 66 Wildcat. The two old mounts were split nearly in half. I would have expected the 4 mounting holes on the block to be parallel with the top surface of the mounting brackets welded on the cross member but they are not. There is almost 3/4 inch gap difference from the top two holes and the bracket and the bottom two holes and the bracket. This gap caused the original mounts to split in the first place. I had to bend open the 90 degress top of the new motor mount and add a 3/8 inch steel spacer to the bottom just to get the new mount mounted so it wouldn't be pulling itself apart. I checked several different part numbers for the new motor mounts and they are all the same design. Has anyone run into this problem and what did you do about it. The best way to fix it (as far as I can tell and if I had the time) would be to cut the bottom half of the bracket from the cross member, bend it up about 3/4 inch and weld in a spacer underneath. This would make the bracket top surface parallel with the four mounting holes in the block. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.