Lucerne Buick's full size luxury vehicle

V8 engine require premium fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 06:04 PM

Can anyone tell me if the V8 Northstar engine used in the new Buick Lucerne would require premium fuel? Or can it burn regular 87 octane? Cliff

Old 01-31-2006, 12:30 PM

I think they do recommend premium fuel.

However, like most recent vehicles, you will probably do no harm if you use regular. This is because they have a sensor which retards the timing at incipient knock. So you will just get slightly less power at peak loads during hot, dry conditions.

Also, GM has usually defined premium as 91 octane, while premium gas here is usually 93. So you've got some margin if you occasionally use mid grade.

I guess I wouldn't admit to using lesser grades though, because they might use it as an excuse to deny warranty coverage.

Old 02-24-2006, 02:27 AM

I'v had my new lLucerne CXLV for three weeks and it says wright in the owners manual that regular gas can be used. I traded in an Eldorodo touring coup that had the same engine and I used the mid range gas in it for 6 years. I'm now using regular in the buick and you can not feel any differce in the performance. I'ts a great running car. Vince[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Old 03-14-2006, 02:17 PM

I run branded unleaded (87), runs just fine with the Northstar