LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

Who knows about 97 lesabre electrics?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Default Who knows about 97 lesabre electrics?

Hello everyone

Just got a 97 Lesabre custom. Nice car, and I am somewhat familiar with this body type. (just wrecked my 93 Olds 88). The problem is some of my buttons don't work!

I can't seem to get the trunk release to work. checked ALL the fuses and relays. there seems to be no power going back to the trunk release motor.

on the steering wheel there are radio controls that don't work, (did this model even have them??)

and last, it looks like this model has a built in radio antenna in the rear glass, but my AM reception sucks!

none of this is terrible, but I would like to get this stuff
straightened out.
can anybody aim me in the right direction on this stuff?

thanks everyone
Bob R

Old 08-06-2011, 09:58 AM

Checking on the first couple items, but with some radios AM reception is dependent on where you are located.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Check to see if there is power at the trunk release button. It could be a broken wire/corrosion somewhere.

Is it the stock radio thats in the car now? If its aftermarket, you need a special harness for the steering wheel controls to work. If not, it could be more bad wiring. Maybe the fuse box has corrosion on the back..

AM radio reception in cars with the built in antenna sucks period. A lot of things can cause interference, especially when the system is older. I have a built in antenna in my Century, and I get a lot of interference from my HID ballasts. At night, I get a low hum when the lights are on.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:59 AM

xlt2k gave you a good suggestion. If you don't have power at the trunk release button, I would look for some additional fuses you might have missed. Did you possibly get the owner's manual with the car, if so, check the fuse section for a description of the items that don't work and that might direct you to the possible non functioning circuit.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:37 AM

Just got the car as used. it looks like the trunk motor is NG. The radio looks stock.
so, are these radio controls standard? found other problems, the serpentine belt, needs replacing which has the @#$$ motor mount in the way! (my wrecked 93oldshas no such stupidity) Also, it looks like my anti-freeze is green. The bottle says Dex-cool only so I guess I need to flush this thing out, right. wish my 93 olds was ok

Bob R

Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 AM

My advice is don't do it!!! Dexcool has a tendency to mess up the intake plenum with a coolant leak you cannot see and allows the coolant to leak into the cylinders. You can try googling the subject and see what I am trying to prevent. If you can find a way to support the engine and remove the strain from the mount, you can remove the parts necessary to install the new belt. Taken one at a time your problems can be solved, don't be discouraged,

Old 09-21-2011, 05:34 AM
Smile

Hanky

Just as an update. I replaced the upper Plenum, flushed the system and now running Anti-Freeze (Green)
So far so good, No leaks and the water level has remained constant

So Far

The Antenna thing. I just posted about that, looking for some alternatives
By the way, do you know how to get to those Steering wheel mounted
Audio controls? I heard they get corroded and sometimes a cleaning gets
them working again

Thanks for the help
Bob R

Old 09-21-2011, 02:00 PM

Sorry , I've never had to get into those so I can't offer any worthwhile suggestions .