LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

Something happened but what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 02:23 AM

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 align=right border=0 valign="top"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD><!--
.write('<scr'+'ipt = src="http://a.tribalfusion.com/j.ad?site=AutomotiveForumscom&adSpace=CustomCampai gn&size=300x250&noAd=1&requestID='+((new Date()).getTime() % 2147483648) + Math.random()+'"></scr'+'ipt>');
//--></></>
<CENTER></CENTER><NO></NO></TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>This morning was a cold morning, just below freezing, and when I started my 1995 Buick Lesabre it started up immediately. But when I put it into gear it started to skip like it was running on one or two cylinders. I put it back into park and it would run and rev up like nothing was wrong. This went on for a while and I guess until it warmed up a bit and then it ran ok the rest of the day. The check engine light came on. I went to Auto Zone and a couple of other outlets but their checkers was for OBD II and my Buick is an OBD I. So they could not check it. Is there a way to check this without having to make a trip to a Buick dealership?
Or if you know what happened please letme know. Edited by: buckroo

Old 12-07-2006, 01:00 PM

Well, that could be a lot of things. I guess I'd first want to see what the computer is saying, so find somebody who has OBD1.

As A SWAG (Scientific Wild *** Guess), I would check your ignition wires.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:18 PM

Yours may be a OBDII connector with a OBDI computer.

I believe you can short some pins on the connector and read the flashes on the panel. Otherwise theres a specialized blue connector in some read kits that covers this gap from some of the stores like Autozone.

Just the same Im not too optomistic you will find a code since you didnt mention the Check Engine light comming on. You may have ignition wire shorting out or a coil pack or even a setting in the computer that has to figure itself out from the ECT sensor. The car may have had a battery change this year and not seen this cold of IAT intake air temp to adjust for a good run.

I would wait on it and see if it consistently reoccurs and then start looking for a problem.

GOOD LUCK

Old 12-07-2006, 10:54 PM

I did get a check engine light.
You are right about the connector.
This has not happened before nor has it happened again. We had colder weather last night but the car is running ok. Strange. It may be what you said that it may have to adjust to the cold weather. Don't know.
I have checked all the national parts stores to see if they can check the code but none could. I will wait to see if it happens again and if it does maybe run it by the dealership. The plug is OBD II and Auto Zone's meter was hooked up to it but it gave an error. The holes in the connector with contacts are 4, 5, 9, 11 and 16. I was looking with a mirror and the 9, 11 and 16 couldhave been reversed to 9, 14 and 16...not sure. But the 4 and 5 are correct.

[img]uploads/buckroo/7375Z_connectorblue.gif[/img]
Standard view

[img]uploads/buckroo/42ZC3_connectorblue1.jpg[/img]
Mirror view

Old 12-07-2006, 11:01 PM

Just an after thought. As long as I don't short the power connector will it hurt anything to short the other connectors to see if I get a flash? I can check with a volt meter for the power connector so Ido notshort it out.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:03 AM

I dont have the time right now to research the pins but you have what you need to get codes.. if you have a paper clip.. I think some online research will give you which pins.. Our area..Autozone, O'reileys, have the cables..

I wouldnt expect codes unless the check engine light stayed on for a sufficient time. Still its good to know how to do it and go through the exercise of finding your sources and how tooz'..

Often a thrown code will clear so if you do get codes disconnect the battery for 10 seconds and run for a couple days .. and check again.. Often Stores also want to sell stuff you really dont need.. be careful there..

Good Luck..