LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

Short cir. blowing fuse

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:24 PM
Default Short cir. blowing fuse

Re: '95 Buick LaSabre, 3.8L engine, limited, 4 dr sedan. circuit 6A courtesy lights & power mirrors. I have been working on the passenge side front door installed new lock acutator and I don't think I damaged any wires. I pulled the fuse (15amp) pos. 6A on the block and it blew again, so I proceded to do a simple continuity test. I put a meter on the connector to the light on the door on the passenger's side. the colors of these wires are one orange and one white. I clip the black lead on the meter to one terminal on the connector and touch the other terminal on the connector with the other lead coming off the meter and I get a jump on the meter. I reversed the process and got the same thing. I don't believe that that should happen. Can someone give be some guidance on this. Thanks

Old 02-20-2012, 06:48 PM

Don't have a wiring diagram handy at this time, but do you have the owner's manual ?
It should in the fuse section list what each fuse protects. There is also a diagram showing the fuse locations. If you don't have it try to Google it to get the fuse layout.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:34 PM

from what i am reading, you have pulled the bulb and are checking continuity between the 2 wires. right?

if so, (and the courtesy lamps are not requested) you have a short to ground.

if there was no problem before your repair, retrace your steps, checking the orange (hot) wire specifically.

another problem area is the wire loom in the door jamb. sometimes wires inside the boot crack and split and short on each other.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 AM

The orange wire is the supply to the lamps and the white wire goes to the interior lamp relay. When you operate the door handle the switch closes and energizes the interior lamp relay. I would suspect you may have either the orange or the white wire pinched between the wire and metal of the door which is ground. Can you close the door(s) and see if the fuse blows then. If it does then the orange wire is grounded. If it doesn't then the white wire is pinched and grounded.
Let us know if you need any further help.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Default Blowing fuse

Thanks to Hanky and Pafman. As it turns out, the area that I was working in (installing a new lock acutator in the door) was not the culprit, but I must explain incase this same problem pops up with another Buick owner who might be a forum subscriber and of course for the benefit of Hanky & Pafman so they can add this to their mental book of knowledge. Coincindently, the power to the exterior mirrors and courtesy lights quit and since I was working on the door, I fugured that I created a problem of a kind by causing a ground short within the door somewhere but the problem was within the wiring of the visor on the passenger side. The same circuit supplies power to the visor vanity lights and the connection to the inside roof of the car snapped. It happens that the tube that snapped is made of metal and one of the wires that ran thru the tube was frayed and touching the metal tube as it was hanging and caused the short. Although the problem was limited to a small area of the electrical system, I was lucky to find it so soon. Thanks again. VanBuren

Old 02-24-2012, 06:13 AM

Nice work finding the problem so soon. It just goes to show you , it's not always caused by something you did!!!