LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

No Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Default No Ignition

Re: '95 Buick LeSabre 3.8L Limited.
Greetings. In the past and maybe 2-3 times, I get in the car and turn on the iginition and nothing happens, so I ran the gear shift back and forth and back into park again and it started. Lately, it happened a couple of times and now I can't get it to turn over at all. The battery is good and when I put the headlights on and turn the key to start, the lights do not dim. Thinking that it is the neutral switch on the trans, I replaced it and I still have the same thing, nice bright lights, loud radio, you name it, but there is no power going to the strarter. Help and regards. Bob

Old 08-19-2012, 04:31 PM

hi Bob,
Might be a good idea to check out the ignition switch itself.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the reply Hanky. I thought about that, , but when I put the key in and go to the first click, everthing lights up and the security light is blinking and they when I put more pressure as one would do to start the car, the brake light comes on. Could the switch still be bad and how would I get at it to check it? Take the steering wheel apart? Thanks, Bob

Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 AM

The switch part you want to check/replace is located on the lower part of the steering column under the dash.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:01 PM

Can you give me some idea of what it looks like and does it work off of the action of the shift liver?

Old 08-20-2012, 03:13 PM

Hanky, just forgot to tell you that I did see a black device which looks like it has somekind of sliding bar on it with teeth or serations. The bar appears to slide thru the divice as if to push until contact is made with something.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 PM

If you remove the driver's side lower dash panel and follow the steering column down , on the right side you will see a block with a plug and wires coming out of the plug. That should be the switch assy. It is usually held with 2 small screws/bolts and slips over a rod that is activated by the key tumbler and the inside of the block has the contacts that make the circuits for ign on, off, start and accessory. Those contacts wear and sometimes don't complete the circuit.
The switch is usually with slots so it's position is adjustable. That is checked in neutral and drive where when properly adjusted the vehicle will start in park or neutral only. Should not activate starter in drive.

Last edited by hanky; 08-20-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:02 PM

Hanky,
I'm assuming by lower dash panel, you mean dash panel proper that runs from the left side past he center and not that black part that holds the fuse block

Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 PM

I'm referring to the cardboard type material that is right above the brake pedal.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:55 PM

Yes, I have that off but I don't see anything on the right side of the steering column. By right side, do mean sitting in the driver's seat of or if you are outside the vehicle and looing at it from the front end.

Quick Reply: No Ignition