LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

I think I have a brake problem...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Default I think I have a brake problem...?

My wife 'limped' home w/a soft brake peddle.... Really, just on 'manual' brakes.... WoW.....

So I was able to check the under-side & traced the volumes of brake fluid to the driver side rear brake

...pull the wheel & then the drum cover....WoW...again....

I did find a broken lower spring, the mid-line spring holder/fastener that supports the brake shoes & the parts to the wheel cylinder....

Well the inspection & repair included a new wheel cylinder, new lower spring, other springs & clips, new brake shoes & a good cleaning. I also checked & replace some of the same parts on the passenger rear side...

The total job wasn't to difficult...I've done quite a bit of brake line & pads/shoes in the past so I had to just recall from the ole memory bank...

Hope this is helpful to all....

Old 03-17-2011, 02:06 PM

Nice job on the pix. Some things we notice like a wise man puts never seize on the studs and also those shoes look almost new as far as lining is concerned. I have always made it a practice to replace all the springs, and adjusters when replacing shoes and even then due to weather conditions the darn springs break. Looks like you do nice work. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Default Yes, the shoes were fairly new...but had the brake fluid...

all over the place...I thought it best to replace them since they probably would not have the 'dry' friction capability as new shoes would....they were life-time warranty covered anyway from AZ purchase....

I didn't have all new hardware (springs & clips) because the local store didn't have them in inventory when I needed to complete the brake repair job last fall. I don't use 'never-seize'...just a big glob of axle grease on each stud & the shoulder area of the axle where the wheel rests.... Just quick & simple for me...

I was happy that my wife caught it/reported it to me quickly...sometimes she doesn't think much about sounds or smells coming from the car.....(she) does the car start...does it run...I'll be back later....dear....!!!!

I take my time & try to do it right...w/the best info. I have available to work w/@ the time...thanks...