LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

Gasketly Stunned

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Default Gasketly Stunned

95 Buick LaSabre, Limitied 3.8L engine, Automatic. Recently, I called a Transmission shop to get an estimate to replacel the gasket in the side cover of my transmission. Thinking in the $100 category, I was stunned to hear $600 plus tax. Now I realize that there are differences if the trans is overdrive or not. I don't have overdrive, so I guess it would be a little cheaper. The gasket costs about $10.00. Anybody got any ideas. I can do it myself if I don't have to take the trans out.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:26 AM

Did you see if you could check and possibly tighten the bolts that hold the cover to the trans. Sometimes that's all it takes. You might get lucky.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 AM

I've tried that and they are about as far as I want to go with them for fear of extruding the hole in the pan. Do you know what's under the cover?

Old 05-12-2011, 07:33 PM

Yes, the valve body and a few solenoids. If you manage to remove the cover the only thing that will come out is trans fluid, about 1quart. The problem is getting to all the cover bolts then hoping you don't have to remove too much stuff in order to get the cover out of the way and clean it. Once that's done , the cover is reinstalled without any gasket adhesive and everything you had to remove gets put back.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:43 AM

Hanky. It sounds likel you know this vehicle so I'll tell you what I planned on doing. (1)Looking down from the top, I see things that I can remove to give me clear access to the bolts that I can see from the top. (2) Remove the rest of the bolts from underneath the car. (3) It looks like I can pull the cover back about 3" and the cover is 5" and I believe that the "stuff" underneath the cover will prevent full removal, so I think I can struggle, to clean both mating parts, with the 3" space. (4) Because of the "stuff" underneath the cover and the fact that I can't take the cover off completely I wil not be able to install the gasket unless I cut it and then kind of "horseshoe it" around the stuff underneath the cover to get it on. I plan on cutting the gasket at the top and resplicing it and putting some sealer at that joint. Possible? Thanks.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:34 PM

I believe your plan will work. You may be able to use a little Vasoline to hold the gasket in place since it could be a little demanding . You might even be able to insert a couple bolts through the cover and gasket to kinda keep it in place. Some gaskets have some of the bolt holes smaller just for this purpose. If you haven't considered it , now would be a good time to change the fluid and trans filter too !
If it will make it easier you might remove the wheel and get better access to almost all the cover bolts without even going under the vehicle. The inner fender well cover cab be moved out of the way if you decide to remove a few extra sheet metal screws. It' a little extra work , but the access is sometimes worth the trouble.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:33 AM

Hanky, thanks for all of your input. I will be going on this venture within the next few days and I will return to let you know how I made out. Best rergars. Bob