LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

Disassembling the steering column

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:46 AM

<DIV>
I just acquired an '89 Lesabre as a more fuel efficient alternative to my V8 truck. One of the only things that is really wrong with it is that the two upper bearings in the steering column have deteriorated. My local Buick dealer was more than happy to sell me an overpriced kit with the bearings and a couple of other things that I "needed". I have successfully disassembled the top of the steering column, right up to the tilt steering pivot screws/pins. That's where I'm stumped. I'm not familiar with these pivot screws/pins and I don't want to damage anything else while I try to replace those bearings.

Has anyone ever dealt with this repair? They have a right handed screw thread in the center that I assumed was a jack screw hole, but when I tried to remove the screws/pins in that method they seemed resistant and I decided to seek a little advice first.

Please enlighten me, if you can. Thanks.</DIV>

Old 05-12-2007, 11:41 PM

Man I have not seen one with bad bearings. My 88 had loose screws in the column. I worked my way down to them and got them tightened up. Not sure what your issue is, but if it was mine and the bearings where out, I would find a used column. There are thousands of those age cars sitting in salvage yards...

Old 05-16-2007, 10:12 PM

<DIV>Thanks for the advice. I stopped by the dealer and talked to one of the service techs and found out that it's only a couple of pins with jack screw extraction holes in them and they have a special tool to pull them. So, I made my own tool and popped them out. I figured that they could spare some free advice since they charged me $50 for $5 worth of bearings.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It was a learning experience, but I actually enjoyed fixing it on my own. It works like new now. I assume a previous tinkerer trying to fix the horn jacked it all up.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks,</DIV>

Old 05-17-2007, 09:46 AM

Always nice to be able to pull off a tricky repair like that at home. Nice work copternut!