LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

92 LeSabre Horrible Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Default Got the throttle body...

of course the pintle but not into the cavity (IAC?)...should I get a spray cleaner or small brush for that area...? On the 89 I think the pintle is the IAC...? (Haynes manual)

While @ the 'bone-yard'...I took the throttle body off a 3.8 L to see what's behind the 'butterfly'...just a long straight air chamber...

Here is a shot of the backside of the 'butterfly' on the TB from the bone-yard.... A lot of carbon build-up....so I cleaned the front side of mine....How do you clean the backside areas without taking the whole TB off....???

(This photo shows the TB taken off of the TB base...& it's upside down...laying atop of the engine area...)
Taking the TB off isn't too difficult with the main bolts/nuts but the lower two (2) 10 mm bolts/nuts are a PITA....I think they are related to the EGR gases...not sure...

The MAP screws are a bit tight...I got two loose before I had to stop for the day. The 3rd didn't break loose & I was avoiding a stripped Phillips head... Sprayed some wd-40 to try to help...I'll check the MAP when the weather break w/warm air in a few days...

This photo is from the bone-yard 3.8 L engine..w/o the MAP....they are ALL removed by other DIY'er....

Of course I'll be doing the plugs-n-wires soon as well....
If the weather breaks as forecast...I might get to a 2nd bone-yard soon as well

Thanks again for your thoughts & suggestions

Old 03-15-2011, 12:27 PM

From what I could see from the pix , the pintle tips are different and should not be used if not identical. You can clean the butterfly with carb and choke cleaner or throttle blade/body cleaner made for that job. Hang in there .

Old 03-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Default Yes, the pintles valves had different 'tips'...

I noticed that when I was having troubles trying to install the two small fastening screws.... Dropped two & couldn't find them.

Then I notice the flanges looked similar but the screw holes were located differently when placed against the cavity opening.... Then checking the 'tips'....what's this... Then the connector location was @a slightly different angle from the original... Too many issues w/such a simple parts replacement.... Duhhhh....

Now the wife limps home w/o much of a brake peddle.... ...I'll have another task on my hands today...

Old 03-29-2011, 03:42 PM

I know it's a little late for a response, perhaps your problem is fixed. But I've experianced a mouse nest in the air cleaner after a car sat awhile. Car ran ok, but it drank gas like crazy.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Default Thanks MiBuick..That would certainly be a surprise...

I too found a nest in the trunk this winter....set a few traps but no 'body'... I think it was just a short visit....hopefully...

Somewhat glad it was in the trunk...haven't noticed any electrical issues...

Old 03-31-2011, 07:28 AM

I have been changing things here and there.... no mouse nest in the air filter, just one by the blower fan! Got it taken care of, but the smell seems to linger!

The mileage has increased substantially without much work. New air filter, plugs, wires, fuel filter, and ran a couple bottles of injector cleaner through it and now consistently getting 26-27. With every fill up I had been gaining 2-3mpgs.....

Now i just need to "check the specs on the rotary gerder.... " - Tommy Boy