LeSabre Buick's flagship mid-sized luxury sedan

‘02 Lesabre - Shifting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 07:32 PM
Default ‘02 Lesabre - Shifting Issue

So, my sister has a 2002 Buick Lesabre we got from my grandmother (she was a lead foot driver) with just over 86,000 miles.

Last week (hot day in Jacksonville, FL), I was stopped in traffic when the light turned green. I stepped on the gas but it didn’t go anywhere. Nearly flooring it, I started to move (rpm over 3,000) and I realized I was in 3rd or 4rth gear. About a second after I floored it, it shifted roughly to 1st. Next stoplight this happened again. I got home and checked transmission fluid: looked brand new, wasn’t low. It always shifts very rough, but these were the only two times this has happened.

What do you think this is? Before I call around, I’d like to have an idea what to ask about. If it’s the actual transmission, we’ll end up selling or scrapping the car, but could it be some sort of solenoid? I don’t have much experience with American cars, nor automatic transmissions for that matter.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:23 AM

If the condition of the vehicle is worth considering an investment for repair then you at least have some idea of what you might do.
It could be an electrical problem involving a solenoid, but someone will need to run some checks to confirm this. If the rest of the vehicle is in good shape the cost to run a few tests will be worth it.. Something I always ask is would you get rid of the vehicle if all was OK ? A lot of slightly used vehicles out there come with problems nobody could correct or involve a considerable expense to repair so they got rid of them. Even new vehicles have problems the only difference is the purchaser already paid when they purchased the vehicle.

Old 09-18-2020, 07:55 AM

Hanky,

Thanks for your response,

Actually, she really hates the car. I’m not sure why, because the 3.8 in those things are some of the most dependable gasoline engine out there.

So, to your point, we should probably just sell it. We’re not sure how much we should ask for it, but she’ll need some money for another car purchase. Luckily, the problem doesn’t seem to be too prevalent (minus the rough shifts).

Again, thanks for the advice.