LaCrosse Buick's new mid-sized luxury sedan

Rear sunshade is stuck in raised position. Anyway to manually lower it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 07:55 PM
Default Rear sunshade is stuck in raised position. Anyway to manually lower it?

Hi,
I have a 2010 Lacrosse with the rear sunshade option. For a while, it was going haywire, the manual switch had no effect, but it would constantly go up and down with a mind of it's own. It was raised, and would then lower when the car was placed in reverse. When it was places back into drive, it would automatically raise back up. If you manually tried to lower it with the console switch, it would lower for a second and then automatically pop back up...sometimes cycling through an up and down process several times before finally staying in the up position.

Well, I don't know if the motor finally gave out and it just stayed in the up position, but that is where it has been stuck for months and the switch has not effect. When you are driving, it just flaps in the wind and the material has become loose and sags.

I guess my questions are:

1) Is there a fuse that I can check for this, I can't seem to find one labeled for it, either in the trunk fuse box or under the hood.

2) Is there are way to manually crank the motor down? I never use the sunshade and would prefer if it were always down forever. If I can't crank the motor down, is there a way to disconnect it so that I can just manually push the scissor linkage back down?

3) If none of the above is possible, does anyone have access to a model number for the motor that I can purchase without buying the entire assembly?

4) And lastly, can anyone tell me if the assembly is accessed through the trunk or through the interior rear deck?
I have the trim cover removed from the trunk and can see the metal frame work that holds the speakers etc. as well as 3 nuts that bolt to the interior rear deck. I don't known if a portion of this framework can be further removed to access the sunshade assembly, or if the interior rear deck needs to be removed.

If the interior rear deck needs to be removed, I am not exactly sure what is holding it down. I have removed the 4 push clips located behind the seatback, as well as the 3 nuts in the truck holding the rear end of the deck down. It is very loose, but still doesn't want to budge enough to remove it. Does anyone know if any other fasteners are holding it down?

Many thanks for any assistance in finishing up this repair. It really is distracting and unsafe having that windshade flopping around back there, especially with windows down. And it's unsafe trying to see out the rear window while backing up, especially at night.

Thanks again and take care,
Chris

Last edited by goatbuick; 06-14-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:25 AM

One suggestion I might offer is to check with a dealership parts dept. They will need your VIN and should be anle to tell you if the motor is available and the cost.
Not that familiar with rear sunshade system, apparently not that troublesome.

There should be some way to access the motor and disable the mechanism so it can be lowered and remain there. If you cannot get to it through the back trunk area, you may need to remove the rear seatback to get access that way.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
One suggestion I might offer is to check with a dealership parts dept. They will need your VIN and should be anle to tell you if the motor is available and the cost.
Not that familiar with rear sunshade system, apparently not that troublesome.

There should be some way to access the motor and disable the mechanism so it can be lowered and remain there. If you cannot get to it through the back trunk area, you may need to remove the rear seatback to get access that way.
Hi Hanky, thanks for the reply.
I tried to find the fuse for it also, but oddly enough, I can't find the fuse location on the map anywhere. But regardless, it did finally start to go up and down using the switch manually, but still has a mind of it's own. It will lower almost all of the way, but then once you put the car in reverse, it will go up, down, and up again and stay up at a lopsided angle. If I could get it to go completely down, I would just unplug it at that point because I never use it. But it only goes down with about 2 inches left, so it would bounce around and rattle while driving.

After researching online, I was able to find a dozen or so other Lacrosse owners that had the identical problem. They said that it was fixed with a reflash of the computer at the dealership. The dealer wants $180 to reflash/reprogram which is guess is going to be the only answer unfortunately. At least the motor seems to be still working, although a little weakly. I guess because it has gone through so many extra up and down cycles every time the gear selector is operated. From what I saw in some other posts, the entire assembly is around $800-1000.

Hopefully I can get by with the reflash and if that allows it to retract completely, I will try to just unplug it at that point. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:57 AM

If you can get to the motor to unplug power to it, you should be able to disconnect it from the mechanism , and do the same thing the motor does and operate the linkage to retract the shade ,,,,permanently !
What do you tthink?