LaCrosse Buick's new mid-sized luxury sedan

2018 Lacrosse wheel compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 08:57 AM
Default 2018 Lacrosse wheel compatibility

[Hello - I posted the following inquiry on another forum, but answers have been lacking, so posting here. Apologies to anyone for whom this is a duplication:]

​​​​​​I recently acquired a 2018 Lacrosse Essence equipped with factory 18" wheels. I would like to upgrade to either a 19" or 20" set of OEM wheels which is fully compatible (e.g., does not require hub spacers). I do not like aftermarket wheels, so OEM is my choice, but I am not stuck on exclusively Buick wheels if I find something I like and is fully compatible (e.g., correct offset/backspacing and 115mm bolt circle).

The above being said, going to the 19" or 20" Lacrosse wheel seems like a logical choice. However, based upon my experience with my previous GM vehicle, a Chevrolet Impala Limited, going +1 or +2 on wheels was NOT a simple affair. If your Impala Limited were originally equipped with 16" wheels, switching to factory 18" wheels required changing to the strut assemblies specific to an Impala which originally came with 18" wheels from the factory. Not doing so resulted in clearance issues with tires rubbing the lower part of the strut assembly. The 2017-2019 Lacrosses have more than one suspension RPO code [e.g., continuous valve dampening (RPO code GNB) vs no continuous valve dampening (RPO code GNA)]. I already checked the suspension parts aspect before posting my initial thread. GM lists three different strut part numbers:
  1. RPO code GNB, equipped with REAL TIME DAMPING CHASSIS(F45), Performance Front Strut/Chassis Equip, Value Added Front Vertical Suspension (VRM)
  2. RPO code GNA, without REAL TIME DAMPING CHASSIS(F45)
  3. whether or not the vehicle is FWD vs AWD.

The above being said, in light of GM's tendency to bundle/package features together, the absence of a comment about wheel diameter in the parts description is not automatically supportive of there not being a difference in wheel fitment. Meaning, GM will not always specify every last detail delineating differences between parts for specific options. Unfortunately, in this particular instance, the strut part number topic does not provide the answer.

I've looked at Tire Rack as well as Discount Tire for wheel and tire fitment prior to posting my original thread. The offset can vary anywhere from +35 to +42 and that is quoting for
aftermarket wheels. Prior experience with OEM wheels, which on paper implied compatibility, did not guarantee problem-free fitment; besides potentially hitting/rubbing struts, different wheel designs may or may not have clearance issues with brake calipers, etc. Over the years, GM has tightened design/manufacturing tolerances considerably and cross-compatibility is not as simple as it used to be.

My question(s):
  1. Are there any fundamental wheel:suspension assembly differences between identical year Lacrosses which came from the factory with 18" wheels versus those which came with 20" wheels? Not having access to all of GM's detail specifics of what wheels came with which option packages and how specific components within those option packages may or may not have been cross-compatible is complicating the question.
  2. Is anyone here knowledgeably aware whether upsizing from one factory Lacrosse wheel (e.g., going from 18" to 19" or 20") is a simple bolt-on with NO compatibility issues or is there more to the picture (e.g., other suspension parts in the way/need to be changed)?
  3. Has anyone successfully changed their 2017-2019 Lacrosse to a wheel from a Regal TourX, for example (or other GM vehicle)? if so, please share details.
  4. Please share any actual (e.g., non-hypothetical) experiences you may have had.
Kindly refrain from sharing opinions regarding the merits of aftermarket wheels vs OEM or speculation(s) about fitment without actual facts. Thanks in advance for the constructive input.