General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Power Windows and Locks

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Default Power Windows and Locks

Posted in new member section, but thought I might try here too, driver side windows stopped going down, though the front will work some days, and today the door locks stopped staying locked, the car automatically is constantly trying to unlock, I love this car, and just want to find out what's going on so I can fix it. Any ideas? Thank you in advance if you can help.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:11 AM

It would help if you gave the year and model.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Default Year and Model

I suppose I did leave that out, my apologies. It is a '92 Roadmaster, also having problems with the right turn signal not flashing, replaced flasher and bulb, still no flash. When hazards are turned on, front left, rear left, and rear right lights flash, but front right does not. When right turn signal is turned on, rear lights light up and stay on, front side marker light lights up, but turn signal light does not light up. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:34 PM

Some models use the marker to make the ground for the signal lite. If your left front signal does not alternately flash the front signal then the marker you have a bad or no ground for the right front bulb. It should be a 2057 or 2057A (for amber) bulb, is it?
To confirm this , just take a piece of wire and run it from the negative post of the battery to the socket the bulb goes in. If the ground is lost the bulb will flash for you.
If it doesn't then the wire feeding the bulb is open somewhere and you need to trace it and see if it is broken or unplugged somewhere. Sometimes the socket gets corroded where it is riveted to the light housing. If running the wire causes it to work the poor connection could be there.

The switch for the door locks sounds as if it has a mind of its own. Some of them can just be lifted up and out enough to see what if anything is happening with the door lock switch and window switch. The wires are usually just plugged onto the switch itself.

Last edited by hanky; 01-29-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: addl info
Old 01-30-2011, 07:33 AM

I appreciate the advice on that. The bulb is a 2057A, I will check on the ground today and see if that is it.

The door locks just started working again out of no where yesterday, which still leaves me clueless on that, as well as the windows. I did notice when I push the switch to make the window go down, there is a second click I hear if I hold it down, but I believe that is just the auto down trying to kick in, though that hasn't worked at all since I got it.

A guy I talked to yesterday at the autoparts store said he believed it may be something with the computer for the door locks, not sure about that, but seems like there may be some merritt to that as the lights come on and locks try to unlock while driving, as if it's being put into park, but don't want to go changing things without knowing what I'm really dealing with.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:41 PM

Just wanted to give a big thank you on the idea of checking the ground, before I even tested it, I adjusted the ground pin slightly to make sure it would get a good connection, and on came the blinker! Door locks started working again, and windows are all working right now, but will take switches out next weekend and check them, and only other issue is the trunk popper not working, have to use the key to open trunk, but other than a mild hassle, if you can even call it that, I'm not too worried about it, it clicks like it's trying to release, but won't pop. I do have a brand new trunk popper kit that I bought for something else a couple years ago, might just install it and move on.