General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

No Spark '72 455 with MSD

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 06:38 PM
Question No Spark '72 455 with MSD

I have a ’72 Buick 455 with a Crane Cam, Elderbroock Intake, 750 Holley, and MSD 6A Ignition box. Last time running it was idling in storage and shut-off on its own. Thinking it was out of gas, I added some and car would not restart. It’s now flooded and appears to not have any spark. I’ve tested ignition box according to MSD’s troubleshooting and it’s OK. Issue seems to be a distributor/points/condenser problem. No spark showing when using a bulb type spark tester on spark-plug wire.

I figure it’s time to switch to a different distributor set up without points. Anyone with experience or recommendations? Should I fit a Pertronix ignitor? Another magnetic Pickup (trigger) kit? Look for a used HEI distributor? I do not have the funds to buy a complete aftermarket distributor at this time.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:57 PM

Not sure about the "bulb type tester", but ,,,,,,,,,,,,If the ignition system presently in the vehicle relies on a set of contact points opening and closing to signal the MSD to provide a spark , you can check the following.
Make sure the contact points are actually opening and closing. There is a fiber rubbing block on the movable arm of the contact points that rides on the cam in the dist. If it has worn down and not making the points open when the rubbing block gets on the high point of the dist cam, you will not get any spark. Also make sure the contact points are clean and making good contact when the points close.. One test you can do is to place the coil high voltage lead near a ground, (1/4 in. ) like part of the engine, with the key on, and open the contact points with a piece of non conducting material (wood or fiber) when they are off the hi point of the dist cam, you should get a spark out of the coil wire. Let us know what you find with this.