General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

MAF code 34

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 10:50 PM

Hi,

I have a 89 Electra T-type with a 3.8 engine. Awhile back the service engine light came on and it would die sometimes at lights or just when the foot was taken off the gas pedal. I took it to a mechanic and they replaced the MAF sensor. (few hundred bucks). Ran ok for a couple months then light came on again and same conditions. Took it back to the mechanic (still under warranty). He put in a new MAF sensor but it did not fix the problem. He said it is probably the computer or a bad wire somewhere. Didn't want to spend any more money just then so drove it awhile. Found a tested computer with the correct number on e-bay and bought it. Installed it with the original chip and that did nothing to fix the problem, still runs the same. Still get a code 34. Service light stays on.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate them. I love this car and really would like to keep it, but don't want to spend a lot of money.

Don't think it is related but will mention it. Between the first and second MAF sensor I lost 4th gear. Took it to a tranny shop and they replaced 4th gear. (a few thousand bucks). A couple weeks later lost 4th gear again took it back (still under warranty) and they replaced 4th gear (they had missed a service bulletin that said do not use this replacement.) They did everything they could think of, repl 4th gear, repl valve body, etc, but they could not get it too shift at the correct points. They didn't want to sp[end anymore time on it (he said about once a year he gets something he can't fix) and gave me my money back. So I drive it being aware where it will shift.

regards,

Roughcreek

Old 10-27-2008, 12:12 PM

go to autozone and use there scan tool and clear your codes

you might just need to disconnect your battery for 30 min than hook it back up to clear your codes

i think you have a "ghost" signal in your system...

Old 10-27-2008, 01:45 PM

once it dies does it start right back up again? or do you have to wait? does it only die when you stop and take your foot off the gas? I have an idea, while it is idling, take some carb cleaner, and spray all around your intake, where it bolts up to the block and listen for the RPMs to increase, a vacumn leak will cause this also.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:54 PM

good idea man, i forgot about that little trick.

lol

dont remove any thing just sprey the starter fluid on the intake.

if the rpm''s go up you have a vacuum leak