General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Fuel Injectors When to change or Clean.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:19 AM
Default Fuel Injectors When to change or Clean.

I have a 97 Riv with 104,900 Miles, runs OK, but mileage not great.
Have replaced, plugs, wires, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, PVC Valve and have 3 inch exhaust. Not sure where to go next other the injectors.

Also have cleaned MAF and IAT sensors and cleaned TB.

If I go with new injectors, where is the best price.

Thank you,

Old 04-23-2011, 12:29 AM

You most of the time, get what you pay for. With injectors I would think price might be secondary and quality injectors would be primary since they should go another 100,000 mi easily and be trouble free. I would get quotes from dealership, local parts supplier , then internet. Each of them should be able to tell you why you should purchase their injectors . Some may be better than the others, and some will probably be the same. The more info you can get, the better decision you will be able to make.
Believe it or not , a questionable battery is capable of giving you lousy mileage.
Also , after replacing tired parts the ECM needs time to change its parameters and mileage may improve without any additional work. It does require a few trips to get this done. Patience pays ! Have a good one.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:05 AM

Appreciate your input. I gather I should consider replacing the injectors after 100,000 is a good idea? Rock Auto is advertising a matched set of 6 for around $260.00, and yes you can find them much cheaper, however, I have slowly learned over my many years you get what you pay for.
I am interested about the questionable battery, is this because it is not putting out the proper numbers, which in-turn reduces Mhz? tables or weak spark?
Have a great Easter.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:48 AM

I know of many cars, Buicks included, that have gone well over 100,000 miles with the same injectors and had no mileage problems. Why not consider this; give the computer time to adjust to the new parts you installed and you may be surprised at the difference in mileage. Also, not knowing if you are using premium grade gasoline ,which you should not have to, a tank of premium will help clean injectors when used occasionally. If after several trips your mileage doesn't improve, as a last resort you might consider changing the injectors.
With the advanced electronics in the vehicles today, even 97s , everything is operating at such low voltages and when you don't provide the small amount of voltage they require , they don't function efficiently. Many circuits operate on millivolts and are extremely voltage sensitive. That's why a battery or charging system that isn't operating as designed can cause some weird problems. Thank you, and have a great Easter too!