General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

'94 Roadmstr. LT1 5.7 stalls when put in gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Default '94 Roadmstr. LT1 5.7 stalls when put in gear

I just recently purchased this car. 106k miles very clean & runs great. Problem is that it stalls after starting when I put it into reverse or O.D./drive. I f I start the car in neutral, then move to rev./O.d. it seems less likely to stall. Please help, where do I start trouble-shooting?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:38 PM

Even though it may not be the cause it's a good idea to check and make sure the connections at the battery are clean since they are hidden by the side terminal set-up especially the positive terminal. I wouldn't get into anything specific until that basic check is done.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:22 PM

While I appreciate that the solution to many a problem is a simple one, in this case it's not the battery cable connections. I went ahead and removed the cables to check the mating surfaces for corrosion and found none. When this prob. occured it would start and run just fine until I moved the shift lever into reverse, then it would stall through five or six attemps to move the car. Ambient temp when doing so last night was approx. 78 degrees F. Low humidity. I put 35 miles on the car today, started & put in gear four times with out incident.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:21 PM

Do you have access to a scan tool or some stores like Auto Zone will check and get you the codes for free. What we are looking for is stored codes possibly from the idle air control system. The codes don't tell you what to repair /replace only what system is malfunctioning. Based on what info is received will determine what we do next.
Let me know what you decide OK. Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,hanky

Old 09-12-2010, 10:39 PM

I'm appreciative of your input! As such, I thought I'd provide an update. I own a code scanner for the OBD2 systems. No good here as this '94 is an OBD1, so I bought the right scanner. This type seems to provide more limited info. than OBD2 as you have to watch for number of times the "service engine soon" light flashes to get the codes. I could not get any flashes! According to the pamphlet that came with the code device, this means I have a problem with the OBD system! I can't find any thing pertinent to this in my Haynes manual. Haynes manuals are very limited, so I haven't decided what to do next. All electrical connections accessable seem tight and free of corrosion. I have also noticed that my horn doesn't work. I have not had occaision to check for power at the horns and/or the relay; I'm thinking that I may have a short in the steering column that is producing the two symptoms. I've had these Saginaw columns out and apart before. A tedious, time consuming task that I'll put off as long as I possibly can. Hopefull for more ideas. Thanks, Dodge.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:10 PM

If you have an OBD I system you can extract the codes with a paper clip.
When you insert the clip and connect the A&B terminals of the diagnostic plug then turn the ign on, you get a code 12 , three times which tells you the system is capable of checking itself. After that you will get the individual codes flashed 3 times each. If you get the codes I will be able to tell you what they involve. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.,,,,,,,,hanky

Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 AM

Live & learn re: the paper clip... I didn't realize the OBD1 "scanner" that I bought was nothing more than a glorified jumper wire with a plastic handle. When I used the tool I can't get the "svc. eng. soon" light to flash at all. No code 12, nothing. I have a list to decipher the codes. However, the resource that I have, Haynes manual, has no info. on what to do if I can't obtain a code at all. Ideas? Thanks.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:30 PM

I will check and get back to you as soon as I can check the proper procedure to determine wha's wrong. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hanky

Old 09-14-2010, 04:47 PM

Did you check all the fuses? I believe there is a "gauges" fuse & PCM (ign)fuse.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 PM

Its been a while and its not hard to mix up the steps for extracting codes.Each manufacturer had a different procedure.

Here's the way to get the GM codes; Turn the ign on, then insert the tool/clip into the test term and grd , you should get the code 12 three times, then it should flash the next code twice and the next code twice etc. If you still can't get any code 12 the system is not working correctly and cannot diagnose itself or anything else.
Let me know how you make out. Thanks, ,,,hanky

Quick Reply: '94 Roadmstr. LT1 5.7 stalls when put in gear