General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

92 Skylark shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:33 AM

Hey Guys, hope you don't mind a Johnny come lately, but All the past conversation is correct.Have been busy or would have tried to save you some trouble. Fuelpress reg is right on the money, also check that vacuum hose from the manifold tap to the pressure reg , sometimes it splits or comes off. That will cause a low engine speed stall. Have a 90 Century with a 3300 engine that I wouldn't trade for a Cadillac. Mine has been very dependable and performs well. If you take care of that car it will give you plenty of good service. They are easy to repair and parts are easy to get if needed. Have been in the auto service field many moons and its a pleasure to own a good car. They don't make them like that anymore and lots of guys are grabbing up the older cars because you can still work on them without expensive tools and equip. Strange as it may seem the gas mileage is as good as the newer ones.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:29 PM

Well im hoping nothing else is wrong, I just got back from buying it gotta wait till i get help on replacing it, I've looked all around the engine for something that could be wrong but I didn't see anything else besides the FPR, Thanks for the Help Hanky, Will post if it helps or not . Shouldn't be to long from now.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:15 PM

Damn, After I replace the FPR, it wont even start now. I replaced a hose but it starts but it kinda trys to but then doesn't.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Well, thats really strange.. Did you damage any hoses by accident while changing the fpr?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:08 PM

don't believe so, everything looks fine, it does sound like its trying my RPM's sometimes hit 500, but wont go higher.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

The only other things i can think of would be the IAC (idle air control) valve, and the tps (throttle position sensor). Maybe one of them is getting bad/dirty or theres a bad connection.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:38 AM

In reading all the line of posts I gather you just bought this car.
It seems that the previous owner sold it because she was having problems with it.
Did this car have this problem from the time you purchased it?
The correct info will help to determine what went wrong with what you did or what someone else did or should have done.
There is a procedure to follow to pin down the problem.

I will be away from my computer for all of the day Sat and some of Sun. Should be back sometime Sun aftn.
I feel you vehicle's problem is not major, but need to know how many things have been tampered with.
Be patient, it will pay off.

Last edited by hanky; 08-20-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:41 AM

Hanky, I posted earlier on with all that has been replaced. I drove the car at least for a 2h drive back home from where I brought the car. Didn't have one problem other then when we stopped to get gas It wouldn't start up right a way. But the next day it started doing the shut off thing.

xlt2k, Would you know where or what it looks like so i could find it? Like i said im not much of a mechanic.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:19 PM

I was just wondering if you may know what this box is?

This i was wondering if something is suppose to connect to it?

Same with this, this one tho, connect somewhat to my FPR.

is that ^ to check the pressure of the fuel?

Last edited by bluntman; 08-20-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see any pictures.

The IAC Valve should be on the throttle body..its like a little cylinder with a wire connector plugged in the back. You can check the owners manual for the exact location..it should be listed.

Quick Reply: 92 Skylark shuts off