General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2015 Encore cold weather turbo problem

Old 01-17-2017, 09:29 AM
Default 2015 Encore cold weather turbo problem

We are having trouble with our 2015 Buick Encore Turbo. We are in a cold snap, and the turbo is not working on the car. Engine light has turned on, the car revs up high before shifting, can't go over 60 mph. Is anyone else experiencing this, and is there a fix to help the turbo perform in cold weather? (Also, just rolled over 10k miles)
This should not be happening on such a new car...

Old 01-18-2017, 08:49 AM

Ok, took the little gutless wonder to the Buick Dealer... There was a recall update on the Diagnostic Module, (had nothing to do with the turbo not working), they updated the recall, and cleared the check engine error code, so now the turbo is working, as long as the temps stay above freezing. I guess Buick is aware of the turbo problem and are sending dealers a little heater type device, called a pcv heater. We are on the list to receive one, but they don't know when they will be available. So, for now, we will park it if the temps fall below freezing. Uggg Good to know there is a simple fix though.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:51 AM

That is surprising because in my past, I worked for a company that built the electronics control module for most of GM's ABS control system and even thought I never got to make the trip, I knew several of the engineers that had been to the cold-weather test track facility... So, I do know that car designs are tested in desert conditions and extreme cold conditions for performance issues in extreme environments and I also know that engine designs begin design validation several years ahead of time so they can do tons of durability and endurance testing.

But, with the pressure on "time to market" for new models and new designs, maybe this type of testing has been abbreviated... but still, most people would be surprised at the amount of design testing and design validation work that is done but even then, they are trying to find the one in a million failures and not all potential failure modes can be found...

There are times that for a specific failure mode to occur, there could be two or three or more conditions that all have to line up exactly right for the failure mode to occur... much like an eclipse...

Best of luck on this issue, it is a great little car...

thenson

Old 12-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Question

Interesting and unusual condition. Is oil the right viscosity for winter? Usually it would be a 5w20 or similiar. The 5w part is for winter driving when cold as oil is thinner. Block or coolant heater is always a good addition in cold weather, keeps entire motor warm. Lastly if air intake was modified with larger intake and removal of OEM air box/filter- there's your problem. Incoming air temp too cold and could be retaining mass airflow sensor in cold weather start/run mode.

My opinion only from doing it all the first time usually wrong myself. Oh too learned on last suggestion from over on Boss 302 Forum. They run oversized throttle bodies, open up intakes so all rain and snow goes into filter box and on and on. I can't drive mine in rain due to intake grates where driving lights would go, true ram air. But who drives in rain, winter or snow lol.

A few minutes to get back to this. Of coarse turbos are spinning continously and boost is controlled by the wastegate valve. Guess 100,000 rpm for those is the norm. So the wastegate valve must be regulated for boost and probably done by ECM. If not working per say, valve is stuck open exiting all boost pressure and turbo would be freewheeling is all that's taking place.

See if I can show picture of grates on other car so readers won't think I'm in complete state of dimentia, not quite yet anyways. Can't do now with new format here...... Oh well.

Last edited by Rich B.; 12-13-2018 at 06:56 AM.