General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2001 Century Lean Code

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 06:01 PM

So apparently the O2 sensor i recieved was the correct one, however i believe my century must have been an early model year because apparently GM switched out the pre-cat sensors to a newer version. Years 2001-2004 had the newer sensor and though mine is an '01, it runs off the older sensor that had been stopped after production on the '00 Century. I sent the 'new' O2 sensor back for a refund and decided to take it to a mechanic who serviced the car....a day later, the car is throwing new codes

Old 10-07-2012, 03:19 AM

Some parts purchased on line can be OK, but those of us in the trade have learned the hard way to stick with OEM (original equip manuf) in this case AC Delco. Most dealers have the OEM parts because they can't afford comebacks.
That said,
Does your diagnostic tool allow you to read fuel trim ?
There are two trims available and they are short term and long term.
When short term gets too far to one end of the spectrum long term will make a change so short term can control fuel trim instantly.
The trim #s will tell you what is happening , with this info more specific corrections can be suggested to correct the cause for the codes. What are the codes you are now receiving ?

Old 10-11-2012, 06:55 PM

Not really familiar with what fuel trims are, is that in reference to a ratio of fuel to O2 when combusting? No the diagnostic i use doesnt read trims i believe...i was getting P0135 and P0141. Apparently a fuse was shot in relation to the O2 sensor that was just replaced, at least seems to have been because i got it fixed...however two days later im now getting a new code for the third time in a row. Its P0420 (catalyst system efficiency below threshold). Am im now getting into the realm of pure computer related/ sensor related issues?

Also, i do try to stick with OEM when i can, however i find myself being short of money at times, esp. when it comes to car repairs which we all know can be costly lol. So when i dont buy OEM, i try to stick with a company that makes their parts to match OEM specs. Has seemed like a pretty happy medium so far

Old 10-16-2012, 03:41 AM

Anyone here have 2001 Buick Century car or bought a used one?Would you recommend others?
Anyone here have 2001 Buick Century car or bought a used one?Would you recommend others?I am looking to buy a used Buick Century 2001 that has around 90,000 miles on it.What do you say?

Old 11-11-2012, 03:00 AM

. Not the engine is stalling, i smell exhaust outside of the car while running。。。。