General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1998 Park Ave Dash turn signal indicator on dim

Old 08-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Default 1998 Park Ave Dash turn signal indicator on dim

Recently, the right turn signal indicator on the dash, came on. The indicator is dim and on constantly, whenever the parking / headlights are on. The exterior right front marker light is also dimly lit, when the parking / headlights are on. The same marker light bulb flashes brightly / normally, when the right turn signal is on. The marker light bulb has two wires, a blue and a brown. Here's what I have checked, so far. All bulbs are good. I replaced the turn signal flasher. With the parking lights on and the marker light dim, I checked for voltage at the two socket pins ( blue & brown wires) Both wires have voltage. Neither is a ground. I checked the left marker light, which works fine and with the parking lights on, the brown wire is ground and blue has battery voltage.

Since, the small push in marker lights serve two purposes, 1. On with parking / headlights. 2. Flash along with the front corner lights. I am thinking that my problem, of a dimly lit exterior marker and dash turn indicator are related to a ground problem. But, where? Or possibly a bad turn signal multifunction switch? I could use some help on this one.

Steve

Old 08-20-2012, 03:49 PM

You might want to change the right rear stop/signal bulb.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 PM

I found the problem. A pitted contact wire on the right front turn signal / parking light bulb. The pitting was deep enough, to not complete the ground circuit. The funny thing is that the bulb worked fine. Normal brightness on both parking light and turn signal. It must have found a ground through the marker light bulb circuit, causing the marker light to illuminate very dim and also keep the dash right turn signal indicator on dim, all the time.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:45 PM

The side markers are used for a ground for the front signal lights so as to provide an alternating front signal and side marker light.