General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1997 Buick Skylark

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:41 AM

Was driving one day and all the gages were going wacky..got it home and it would not start back up. I am sure with all i have read that it is some sort of security problem. Unhooked the battery and rehooked it and it started right up..when i turned it off..it would not restart. Please..i desperately need my car.
Denise

Old 10-29-2008, 09:21 AM

It won''''t restart at all now? I mean if you unhook the battery even? when you said"all the gages were going wacky"what were they doing? Was your security light on?I could be a ground problem also.IF it will start you might take it to a place like Autozone and have them check it for codes, if not what does it do, I mean do the lights work, things like that.
Edited by: Rusty

Old 10-29-2008, 09:51 AM

its a 97 skylark man... i have the same problem

is your floor wet?

because mine was. it is leaking some where on the fire wall
i had torn the carpet out and drilled a hole in the floor for the water
to escape

and my wires got wet and now all my lights stay on...

but my car starts.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:49 AM

No my lights work fine. When i was driving the gages like temp..gas gage..etc..were dropping to the not on position yet the car was still on. I have not retried unhooking the battery again as i was out of daylight then. I did have this problem one time before..somewhat..but my gages were not acting up..the anti theft light came on and i had absolutely no power what so ever. I bought a new battery and it started right up. I have not noticed excessive water on the floor boards. I did however have a problem with my tumbler like 2 years ago..and i had a guy fix it but now any car key will start it. No im not telling you where i live and no one else knows this .

Old 10-29-2008, 11:36 AM

who asked where you live?

lol

Old 10-29-2008, 12:17 PM

well it could be a security problem, but the fact any key will start it and it has worked fine for say the last 2 years makes that seem kinda like an after thought. If you had this problem before and anew battery fixed it, seems electrical, I am still thinking ground, possibly a voltage regulator, but the fact that your gauges act up seems to lead me to the ground thought. try hooking your battery back up, if it starts run it for awhile, then shut it off, see if it starts ok then. Let us know and best of luck!

Old 10-29-2008, 12:29 PM

i agree...

and no one wants to knwo where you live lol

Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 PM

It was just a joke i swear!! i have to work tonight so i might not get to it until tomorrow. I will definately keep you posted. And thank you for all the help. This is a great sight.

Denise

Old 10-30-2008, 07:25 AM

Ok well i have tried everything in my power to get my baby runnin. So its being towed today in just a few minutes in fact to the closest garage. Just wanted to keep you all updated and thankyou again for all the helpful tips and information. I hope i never have any more problems but do plan on coming back to "chat" every once in a while. Who knows..maybe i will learn something new with this car and can share the information. Take care.

Denise

Old 10-30-2008, 07:44 AM

Denise Austin!! I just remembered I used to watch you work out in the mornings(ok thats my joke). I hope all goes well, be sure to let us know what they find. Sorry we couldn''t help you get it running on your own, BUT there is alot of things to help keep it running you can do,save yourself some money.

Quick Reply: 1997 Buick Skylark