General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1995 Park Avenue is Jerking

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 02:23 PM

Hi,

Ipurchased a 1995 Park Avenue from Joe Meyers Toyota a couple of days before Thanksgiving. The car was started jerking just a little bit a week after but I thought that maybe it had been sitting a while.Last week asI was leaving the light it would not gain speed, so I pulled over and turned it off and started it back up again. No problem. But yesterday New Years after church, it was really jerking, I tried turning it off but the same. So this morning I called the dealership and he was like we can't help you, you had it two months,( it's been a month and 10 days). I just can't believe this now I'm stuck with a lemon. I was hit in January last yearand my car was totaled and I saved to get a nice car from a reputable dealership and this is what I get a LEMON![img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Administrator

states have lemon laws to protect people from this. check to see what your local lemon laws are.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:08 PM

I think "lemon laws" usually apply to new cars, but in any case, you should first try to talk to somebody higher up at the dealership. You must accept that in return for the much cheaper pricecompared to anew vehicle, you take a risk that it will not be perfect. Certainly you would not expect the dealer to pay for everything that might ever go wrong.

There are a number of things that could be causing your problem, and your dealer should, at least, be willing to have a knowledgable technician diagnose the problem without adding a profit. Then you can intelligently decide whose responsibility it should be.

If I had to guess, I wouldsay that you need new spark plug wires. This is an easy and inexpensive repair.

Old 01-19-2006, 03:12 PM

I have the same problem!! I purchased mine from my husband's grandparents, they had bought it brand new with 14 or so mile on it. I had it for 1 mo and the trans went on it, then when I got the car back it started to jerk, couldn't gain any speed unless you went down to third, now my cruise doesn't work, trunk won't open, tail light indicator keeps comming on (tail light has been replaced) My husband fixes cars for a living and we have a HUGE support system for technology and NO ONE can figure the problem out! We have changed the fuel filter & pump, spark plugs, sensors, etc... When we hook a computer up to it, it states that the car is misfiring...duhhhhhh I already knew that! But because the service light isn't on we can't find the problem..Very frustrating!! Even mechanics can't figure it out! Any suggestions would be GREAT!!!

Old 01-20-2006, 01:50 PM

Have you changed the spark plug wires? They are a common problem and can often appear good in the shop.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:26 PM

I have a '93 Ultra that was doing the "buck and snort" routine just like you have described. New plug wires and a set of plugs took care of it. I feel certain it didn't need the plugs but I put them in for good measure. I suffered with the problem far longer than I should have considering how simple it was to fix but I just couldn't believe my problem was that simple and kept looking for other answers.[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]