General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1956 Buick Special

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 11:35 AM
Default 1956 Buick Special

Hi there members! I am new to the forum. I am currently working on a 1956 Buick Special Sedan. The issue I am having is one day letting it idle in the driveway to warm up the vehicle died and yet has to start again.. It's strange because I had been driving the vehicle around and it ran very well. It's now been 2 months and I am sitting here scratching my head.

The list of things I have repaired and replaced are as follows.
- Rebuilt Carb 2 barrel Carter
- New fuel tank and fuel filters (added one to frame rail)
- New spark plugs Autolite 85 and Oreilly spark plug wires ( I believe they are solid core wires)
- New Distributor Cap and Rotor
-New ignition coil 12v
- Replaced points ignition with a pertronix electronic ignition 1183 kit 12v kit
- Oil changed
- Mechanical fuel pump is rebuilt (sent out)

Initially when the vehicle died while idling I was sitting in it. It acted as if it was either ignition related or fuel related. I removed the distributor cap and found a couple broken wires in the distributor. I replaced the wires in the distributor and no change. When it died it was still on points ignition. I have verified ignition timing. Set cylinder 1 to 5 degres TDC on the crank and verified the rotor is facing cylinder 1. I fitted the pertronix electronic ignition because I am not familiar enough with the points set up. I tried cleaning the original points and re gapped them. I have spark and can verify it with a spark tester. When I fitted the pertronix kit it required me to by pass the ballast resistor. I am on a 12v coil from Standard. Originally the ignition coil was the original delco remy part. I am not sure what I am missing. I have even gone as far as compression testing the engine and it seems fine. If anyone can point me in a direction it would be greatly appreciated. I work on newer cars for a living but older style ignition systems are fairly foreign to me. I am fairly certain my firing order is correct. Even with pouring some gas in the carb to get it running while cranking she doesn't even sputter.

I will add some pics as to what I am dealing with and the diagrams I have used to set firing order and ignition timing ect.