Turbo on the Buick? - Buick Forum - Buick Enthusiasts Forums

Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

Old 04-20-2007, 11:28 AM

I've got a '91 Park Avenue, and I'd like to know if anyone here has installed a turbocharger in their Buick. I just think that some more power would be nice, so I gladly recieves other suggestions too, how to soup up the engine.

(I'm from Sweden, so you have to excuse me for writing bad english)
Old 04-20-2007, 01:29 PM

I used to own a similar Park Avenue (1992) with the supercharged engine. This engine was turbocharged (rather than supercharged) on many Buicks, but they were all rear wheel drive. I believe that would make adding a factory turbocharger difficult. I am not aware of any aftermarket kits, but then, I have not looked for them either.

It would probably be easiest to add a supercharger, but that is not to say it would be easy. My Park Avenue had many changes, both in the engine and elsewhere, compared to the base engine.

I am assuming that you know our convention that a turbocharger refers to an exhaust driven compressor, while a supercharger is crank shaft driven.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:31 PM

The engine displacement is 3.8 liters, which means 1.9 litre per line of cylinders. If I then use two turbochargers made for 1.8 or 2.0 litre engines, and mount them on each side of the engine, it should work just fine, or..?

I don't want the pressure too high, as the engine may not feel so good about it, so I think turbos from 1.8 litre engines would be perfect.

I'm also thinking of converting the engine to run on E85 (85% ethanol with 15% gasoline).A friend of mine says that a turbocharged engine that is converted to E85 can produce up to 25% more hp. Maybe I shouldn'd bet money on such powerincrease, but I know that it will do some changes (for the better).

Anyfurthersuggestions? Is it esier to mount a supercharger than a turbocharger? How much power increase might be possiblewitha supercharger?

Very thankful for answers.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:26 AM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
I would never want to see someone pull off a neat PA/Ultra mod, but I have to admit your idea is making me ask, "why do this"? [img]smileys/smiley13.gif[/img]

Are you planning other mods such as the suspension, brakes, or drivetrain? I would guess such a mod, even if you can do much of the labor, will be expensive. If you only modify the engine - and I'm guessing you are rebuilding the engine from the crank up - you have quite an engine and will have spend at least $3K. If you stop there and do not mod the rest of the car, you will be limited in how much of the HP yau can acually use.

I would think you should sell the 91 and get a 96 Ultra with the older body style [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]and newer suppercharged engine. The base HP is 240 but I supect you could make some cost effective mods and easilyget that up another 10% or so and not hurt the drivetrain much. This will cost you much less and get a more complete package in a shorter time.

But, if you pres on, post pictures of the beast after your done!

Old 04-25-2007, 05:44 AM

I talked to a friend, who has a great knowledge of almost everything, like V6 engines, turbochargers and how to soup up a car in other ways. He told me, that if I mounted two turbos, and let them charge about 0,5 bars, or 7,25 PSI (whatever you prefer), I wouldn't need to put in heavier stuff in the engine, that the pressure is to low to do some damage, but still, it would give about 240 HP, like the PA ultra.

If I then converted to drive on E85, the HP could increase by up to 25 %. That makes 300 HP, and that's not bad.

By putting in a better camshaft, it should be possible to gain about 30-40 HP more.

Now I don't know how much the transmission and other things can stand, but maybe some of you guys can give me a hint?

It's only the engine that will be modified, I like when cars are in original shape, like the day they left the factory. But this machine is so new, that I really don't think it matters if the engine gets some help from turbos and such. The outside will of course be original, and the interior too.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:36 AM

< =>
<!--
var SymRealOnLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

SymOnLoad()
{
if(SymRealOnLoad != null)
SymRealOnLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
Are you doing all the engine work yourself?

Don't forget the addional oil pressure pump to feed 2 turbos. Will you water cool the turpo's or will the oil have to keep them cool?

Are RPM range are you looking to make 300HP? If its at the 5,000+ range, you may find you will not be up there very oftern as the car is not geaed to be there unless you are pushing to use the power. If this is the case, I'd say you;re going to have to mod more than just the engine.

Just get an Ultra with the factory supercharger and mod the output of this car. You will be much happier in the end.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:37 AM

Hehe, "Just get an Ultra...". Don't forget I'm living in Sweden, and here we got a fewBuick Park Avenue, and that's it, no supercharged versions. I really don't know much about these things, but I'm getting a lot of help from friends with great knowledge. They will help me install it too.I've found cheap turbochargers,they costs about $500 (each), and according to one of these friends, it's not just crap, but the same as Saab and other brands use.

What about the camshaft? Anyone knows where to find it, and if it's worth the cost. I also found a chip that, according to the company that sells it, would bring upboth the HP and the torque. Thoughts?