Electra/Park Avenue Buick's full size premium car manufactured between 1959 and 1990

Rack & Pinion Line Disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Default Rack & Pinion Line Disconnect

89 Park Ave, 190k miles

In the process of replacing a leaky rack & pinion. All seems to be going well enough with the exception of the fluid lines. Using what tools I had, I was unable to budge the two larger (18mm) flare nuts.

Finally learned about a "crows foot" wrenches, bought a set, and got one nut off easily. Seems that in all my previous attempts, I managed to round off the other one badly (I know, I know) and now I can't do anything with it. Any suggestions?

I though about just cutting the line and replacing it, but the line does an odd thing: it goes out from the rack, along the fender, then wraps along in front of the radiator, loops, follows itself back, then goes along the rack, and up to the pump. What in the world is that all about? Is there some way to shortcut that?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:00 PM

UPDATE:
I've moved the sway bar so as to get better access and leverage. Plenty of penetrating oil, hammer taps, and tries with the vice grips and channel locks later, the nut still won't budge. I've concluded that it is seized somehow, and will have to take a different tack.

Has anyone out there replaced the line itself? The long pathway is probably to allow for cooling, so I'll use the complete, packaged replacement to avoid problems later. It doesn't look too bad to wrestle out, but getting a new one in may be a trick. If you have done this and have any advise to offer, PLEASE reply.