Century Buick's mid sized affordable sedan

Fan speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:48 PM

I did google search, and found a message about a 1999 Century that the resistors are underneath the panel on passenger side. Mine is 2005, so expect it would be similar. Probably a few more days before my knees can handle and weight.

Looking at the schematic however, and my problem, it would seem the fault has to be a bad contact on the switch or a loose wire / connection. Providing that the schematic is 100 percent correct in the way these resistors are wired in series. I say this because, my low speed works, 2nd position does not works, all other positions do work. Since they are wired in series, an open resistor on 2nd position would also cause 1st position to not work.

To bad they dont show all thelocationson these drawings.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

thats probably series-parallel. if they were all in series, and one failed, then none would work.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:36 AM

Something like this, vertical lines represent wires going to contact points on switch: A,B,C,D, etc.. Other side of switch goes to fuse power according to the dwg.

They are in series, so if one fails then yes no current will flow thru contact in switch. My problem isBnot working, so if this is correct, the wire going to B or contact in switch would be the fault.Sorry I not sure how to do dwgs on here.

A&nbsp ; ; B&nbsp ; ; C&nbsp ; ; D

__|__resistor__|__resistor__|___resistor__|__resis tor___Moto r--grnd

Edited by: RFisher

Old 05-01-2008, 04:11 AM

Just thought Id update.

Finally got around to crawling under the passenger dash, and uncovered the blower motor and behind it is the "blower motor resistor assembly." They mounted that thing so far back, and tight I can only remove one screw. Fortunately, I was able to get the wire harness off, and checked for voltages (using the schematic I found at the website you refered, turns out to be 100 percent accurate by the way). The voltage was missing for the second speed on the fan switch, so went to the switch it self and sure enough it is a bad switch.

Now I just need to locate a new switch. Part numbers on the switch are "6114", and "Fan SW 12245056" on the other side of switch.

I checked the parts on line and unable to locate this switch for some reason.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:21 PM

Just to keep this up to date:

The switch is not available to purchase seperately, you have to buy the entire climate control module. Dealer wanted $292.00, ebay for $79.00. I decided to take the switch apart, and found carbon build up on the contact, and a bit of wear.

Cleaned it up, and reinstalled switch. Now working fine.