Century Buick's mid sized affordable sedan

car requires 3 hour warmup

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:19 PM

I have 97 Century with 3.1 engine. When engine is first started it idles ok, but if you push down the accelarator it misses like crazy. There is no power.

If the engine is allowed to idle until it is up to running temp andshut down for about 3 hours, then restarted, it runs normally for that day. If it sits for a day or two the same thing happens. Any idea what causes this?

Jay H

Old 01-23-2007, 07:43 AM

3 hours, lol. With the current gas prices, you just may take a taxi.

Check your vacuum hose. You may have something lose with it and only after the engine is at the right temperature the thing goes on as usual. That would be my first guess. Another one would be to check your oxigen sensor.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:21 PM

I have some ideas on that..
If the car thinks its warmed up and trys to start it will apply warm mix to the engine..

The CTS coolant temp sensor may be saying its a hot engine when its really cold.
There are other sensors that are similar.. such as the MAF and IAT.. senses intake air at the filter and the intake.

The Oxygen sensor usually controls mix after the sensor is hot and the car is running hot according to the CTS.. so I wouldnt suspect it yet.

Good Luck