Century Buick's mid sized affordable sedan

blower motor question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:52 PM

I think it was a good move that you purchased the meter. If the meter came with any instructions, it would be a good idea to check them out. The black test lead, the majority of the time goes onto a good ground. If the meter is a digital one, it will show a minus sign before the reading if you have the leads connected backwards. If it is an analog (needle type ) the meter will peg against the stop and not give any reading. The range most likely that you will use for your vehicle when checking any battery feed is DC and always the next range above 12 volts. When you aren't sure what voltage to expect , start with a high range then you can always turn the selector down to a lower range for a more accurate reading. When you remove the plug from the resistor, turn the key on and place the blower switch on the low speed setting, then connect the black lead to a good ground and place the red lead into each of the wires in the plug. One of them should give you a 12 volt reading. Then switch the blower switch to med speed position another wire should give you a 12 volt reading. You do this for each blower position and each of the wires should show 12 volts to correspond with the blower switch setting. If you get no reading , the wires from the switch are questionable or the switch is questionable. When checking for voltage (Which is like water pressure) , but in this case electrical pressure you should expect to get a reading very close to battery voltage (12.4 volts DC) You could start with checking the battery voltage itself right at the side terminals of the battery. Always make sure the meter is set to read voltage.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:12 PM

so i ran a check of the plug that plugs into the resistor.
there were 7 receptors (small ports) on the plug.
i got a voltage on six out of seven of them of 12 volts.
one port didn't obtain a reading.

since there are 6 settings on the manual blower for the heater, including off, it makes sense that one should not conduct a current. i'm thinking this port corresponds to the off setting.

so those wires seemed fine.

i then tested the other plug that comes off the resistor. (it's a 2 port plug)
i got a reading for one of the ports (about 12v) when the blower is on high. the other port didn't have a reading on high. both ports did not have a reading when on the blower was on any other settings.

so this probably means that the resistor is bad or i installed it wrong correct?
if so i'll take it out tomorrow and have a look at it.

it is a real pain to take out.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:22 PM

I don't think you could install the resistor incorrectly. The prongs should only allow the plug to go on one way. If I understand correctly, you have blower hi speed just no blower lower speeds. Is this correct?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:02 PM

yeah, you are correct. i only have the blower working when i set it to high. the blower doesn't work at any other setting - only high.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:31 PM

Either you have the wrong resistor or there is an open in the wiring from the resistor to the blower motor. Check the one wire from the resistor to the blower motor. Check the connections too, they may look good , but still be open.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:09 PM

so i tried an new resistor and it worked.
the other resistor i took out looked like it was burnt a little at the top.
so either there is too much voltage or the resistor was broke before i put it in.
but it is working for now.
thanks for all the help hanky!
hopefully this resistor will stay intacted.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:35 PM

Good job gregg, Persistance and patience pays. Glad you won't have a cold car to drive this winter !!